Beginner's puncture nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Thanks for the replies. To answer queries - my wheel/tyre size is 700x32.

I think my pump problem was caused by my valves being too short. I've ordered some long valve tubes now.

What is the make and model of the tyre? It could be they have very little puncture protection as well

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh another little tip. If you have a nut on the valve stem, it only needs to be tight enough to stop the valve getting lost in the rim at first. If you tighten it right down, it'll yank the tube tight against the rim and it might push the tyre off as it inflates. Maybe tighten it up after inflation, to stop the tube near the valve rubbing on the hole, but it's rarely critical.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Whilst it probably isn't a great idea to go over the tyre's max pressure rating I don't think it could cause a normal puncture. If the tyre fails from high pressure it is going to rip and let out the inner tube which will burst with an almighty bang that will necessitate a new pair of underpants. I popped a tube once due to a badly seated tyre and it isn't something you can do without noticing (to put it mildly).

2FD95DD4-B282-478E-9414-361A55180630.jpeg

< smug > I don’t get punctures </smug>

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Reduce your cycling.
Mines been out maybe 4 times since last October and I've not had a single flat!
My mountain bike hasn't been used for 3 years but BOTH its tyres have still gone flat ...! :whistle:

You really need to find the cause of your p'ture, the tube will give a clue, typically:
Two holes either side a 'snake bite' usually caused by hitting an object like a pothole hard with slightly under inflated tyres.
One hole on side or road side of the tube its probably a thorn/ glass other object etc. If its not obvious line the tube up with the tyre and the hole will point you to object. Annoyingly occasionally you get something which just goes in and out and there's nothing to find but you really should try. It may be the case that it not visible at low pressure but pumping the tyre up exposes it and you p'ture again.
One hole on the rim side points to a rim defect, bad rim tape, loose spoke etc. Lining up the tube and tyre will again help you find it.

Preventive actions: keep your tyres fully inflated and check them regularly (check!), use Gatorskins or similar (check!) and make sure you're not riding in the gutter where all the crap gets washed to.

I know it feels like a lot of hard work at the moment and there's definitely a run of poor luck there, but these things should at least minimise your time at the roadside with a wheel off.

However, for when the inevitable happens: it's not just for aesthetics that folks line up the tyre logo with the valve; it helps track down the offending article when the p-fairy strikes. Also, when looking for the object in your tyre you can flex and roll the rubber around an awful lot - some tiny pieces of glass will bury themselves pretty well and you may not see or feel them at first. They will simply lurk in there for either 30 seconds later or the maximally inconvenient time to do their thing. If you do get nicks when you remove the shard, when you get home you can flex the hole back open again and pop a drop of Superglue in there. I've done this for years and while I don't know if it actually does anything it feels better to have done something! :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My money is on a thorn as well. When you take the tube/tyre off, mark where the valve is on the tyre. When you find the hole in the tube, its easy to find the region in the tyre and check for thorns... very carefully
And don't assume there was only one thorn as I found out last December :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes the hidden shard of glass was what caused my last spate of mystery punctures. Eventually I identified the place on the tyre, probed it with a metal spike and could feel a tiny piece of glass grating, trapped between carcass and tread.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Yes the hidden shard of glass was what caused my last spate of mystery punctures. Eventually I identified the place on the tyre, probed it with a metal spike and could feel a tiny piece of glass grating, trapped between carcass and tread.
Similar thing here, two punctures in the front tyre one after the other. On very close inspection there was the tiniest piece of flint I've ever seen buried in the carcass of the tyre which just showed through to the inside . Oops that's done it, I'll be getting a visit now!

Top Bottom