Beginning cycling training need help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
as in I don't know of any or how to join
Post your location in here, and see if anyone can recommend a club...as well as googling, getting in touch with local clubs or as said, showing up for one of their club rides

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/cycling-clubs.49/

OP
OP
R

ruby123

Google is your friend. Search your area for clubs. You usually just turn up and introduce yourself. All very simple, easy and friendly. You don't have to join immediately as most let you ride a few times first. It's a great way to learn cycle routes in your area and make cycling friends whilst getting cycle fit.
Thanks, will do

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Can I just go to any club? Won't they be too fast? Why are clubs useful?
There are many sorts of club and many have different groups depending on speed and distance, the club i ride with has a sunday ride with up to 4 groups ranging from an average of 15 mph to 20 + from 40 -70 miles .There will be a lot of experienced members generally willing to help with advice / training tips etc and you will find the miles soon clock up .
Of course some people prefer to ride solo which is great too, go for what works for you.

OP
OP
R

ruby123

There are many sorts of club and many have different groups depending on speed and distance, the club i ride with has a sunday ride with up to 4 groups ranging from an average of 15 mph to 20 + from 40 -70 miles .There will be a lot of experienced members generally willing to help with advice / training tips etc and you will find the miles soon clock up .
Of course some people prefer to ride solo which is great too, go for what works for you.
But even 40 miles sounds like too much for as as I haven't even started riding properly

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
But even 40 miles sounds like too much for as as I haven't even started riding
You will be amazed how much further and faster you can ride in a group as you get a draft like racing cars and that includes a coffee + cake stop :smile: .You havent said how far you are riding yet so i was just guessing .

OP
OP
R

ruby123

You will be amazed how much further and faster you can ride in a group as you get a draft like racing cars and that includes a coffee + cake stop :smile: .You havent said how far you are riding yet so i was just guessing .
So should I go straight into a club or rather train solo first. Or is it just preference?

Hi Ruby both my kids ( now adults) as teenagers wanted to join me on club rides but my club is a race club so both my kids needed to get to a 18mph average over 60 miles ( 2 x 30 really as a cafe stop in the middle) my son started at 15 my daughter 14, both managed it within 3 months . I just started off by getting them to put the miles in with me starting off with a 10 mile then 15,20,30,40,50, etc all the way to 60 on a weekend. My son mucked about on his bike durring the week with his mates so got extra miles in, my daughter did a weekend ride with me but did 2 turbo sessions during the week as she did not want to go out on the road by herself. Turbo session no longer than a hour.
Later I decided it was better for my daughter to join a different club ( Lee Valley Youth) as this was for under 16's so she got to ride/compete with girls of her own age. Most youth clubs will push the kids towards racing. To begin with, no heart rate monitor or anything was needed just miles to build up bike fitness. I would not ride with a adult club straight away if it is a race orientated club, lots of other clubs though have beginer slower groups, depending on your physical make up and being just 15 you may find you improve very very quickly, my kids did my son accompanying me on sportives ( up to 100 miles) and XC races my daughter became a out and out racer.( Road,CX,XC and TT) Both have given it up but are still both very sporty.
How old is your brother by the way. Do you have a ultimate aim in the way of miles/speed.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
So should I go straight into a club or rather train solo first. Or is it just preference?

Your choice, of course. If you were lucky enough to have access to a cycling club with a qualified coach who knew about the particular needs of young cyclists, they would be able to advise you on such aspects of cycling as setting the saddle height/position, technique (such as use of gears), diet, etc. Whilst many clubs are geared towards racing, the basic training they offer could give you a useful starting point from which to develop your own cycling skills in whatever direction you wanted to go. Also don't forget to check out the club's child welfare policy - stay safe!

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
R

ruby123

Hi Ruby both my kids ( now adults) as teenagers wanted to join me on club rides but my club is a race club so both my kids needed to get to a 18mph average over 60 miles ( 2 x 30 really as a cafe stop in the middle) my son started at 15 my daughter 14, both managed it within 3 months . I just started off by getting them to put the miles in with me starting off with a 10 mile then 15,20,30,40,50, etc all the way to 60 on a weekend. My son mucked about on his bike durring the week with his mates so got extra miles in, my daughter did a weekend ride with me but did 2 turbo sessions during the week as she did not want to go out on the road by herself. Turbo session no longer than a hour.
Later I decided it was better for my daughter to join a different club ( Lee Valley Youth) as this was for under 16's so she got to ride/compete with girls of her own age. Most youth clubs will push the kids towards racing. To begin with, no heart rate monitor or anything was needed just miles to build up bike fitness. I would not ride with a adult club straight away if it is a race orientated club, lots of other clubs though have beginer slower groups, depending on your physical make up and being just 15 you may find you improve very very quickly, my kids did my son accompanying me on sportives ( up to 100 miles) and XC races my daughter became a out and out racer.( Road,CX,XC and TT) Both have given it up but are still both very sporty.
How old is your brother by the way. Do you have a ultimate aim in the way of miles/speed.
Thanks, my brother is 14 and our eventual aim is to cycle real long distance like 100 km

OP
OP
R

ruby123

Why not just go out riding with your brother and enjoy it? I've never been in a club but have enjoyed my cycling.
By riding your bikes you will get fitter, stronger and more confident. Then you can decide how to continue.

My son is nearly ten and I got him a cheep cycle computer because he likes to know how far he's ridden and how fast he goes. We set little targets, like 15 miles, and getting up a couple of nasty hills on the way. Have a stop to eat. It's really nice and he can see how much his riding has improved as we go longer distances and a bit faster
Just enjoy cycling, there's no need to make it complicated. Have fun!
thanks

Top Bottom