Beginning cycling training need help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

ruby123

Hi Ruby, I run a team for your age group, and I'm a coach. What I'd highly recommend, is to find your nearest local club which has Youth coaching. You will be in the 'Youth A' (under 16) age category. As you begin, the best thing you can do is to just get out there and practice. If you're interested in competing, you'll find lots of advice, training and coaching available at little to no cost when you join the right club.

At your age, races are only 25-50 minutes long, so you're best working on speed endurance, rather than pure endurance. If you get into cycling, and do well, you'll find there's a lot of support and resources at the right club, so do look around, and try to find one with a team that you might be able to join, and good training provision.

If you don't want to race, but just want to do long rides, then still join a club, but you don't need to worry so much about training provision, and can join social rides. I would highly recommend that you get all the training you can though, to improve your cycling skills. There's a massive amount of difference between being able to ride a bike (whether over a long distance of short), and being a skilled cyclist, with great control over your bike, ability to handle it really well, potentially avoid accidents/ crashes. You're still young enough to learn how to cycle really well.
But won't the level be too high for me?

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
But won't the level be too high for me?

Best to just go along and see if they can assess you - they may be able to put you in a suitable group to help you improve your ability - many clubs will just group according to ability rather than age, so for example you might ride with younger riders initially whilst you're gaining speed and fitness, then you'll be moved up a group when you're ready. Most clubs are welcoming and inclusive, so just make contact and see what they have to offer.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But even 40 miles sounds like too much for as as I haven't even started riding properly
Some group rides local to me start at 3 miles. There really is a range of all sorts.

So should I go straight into a club or rather train solo first. Or is it just preference?
Preference, plus maybe what clubs are available nearby and what speeds they do and what attitudes they take to new riders - there's a full range from groups which really are "no-one left behind" to ones that are "no prisoners / no waiting"! Most (but sadly not all) are honest and open about what they are.

CTC or Cycling UK as it now called has in the main stopped being a touring club and seems to have become a charity based organisation which seems to have lost its way, however the local groups provide shortish day rides. British cycling would be better for the younger road rider. ant there website provide free training programs for all levels including beginners.
Which is better depends on what someone wants. Also, in some areas, local Cycling UK groups seem to remain resolutely Cycling Touring Club and refuse to embrace the new CUK direction, which at least gives a choice, although I still feel that insisting people subscribe for a year before their fourth ride is pretty limiting.

For completeness, you can also look on www.cyclenation.org.uk and www.letsride.co.uk for riding groups which tend to be less formal than the big two.

Top Bottom