Beginning cycling training need help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ruby123

I am 15 years old and want to start training to go on long cycles, also to improve my stamina and speed on the bike. I have looked up training programs and in almost all you need power meter which are very expensive! I was wondering if someone could advise me on a training program where I don't need one and which includes how long I should ride for, what types of rides should i go on for each day. Please help!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You do not need a power meter. All you need to do is ride your bike, keep riding it and slowly up your distances. With that, stamina and distance come.

Other wise.. join a club.

boydj

Legendary Member
You do not need a power meter. All you need to do is ride your bike, keep riding it and slowly up your distances. With that, stamina and distance come.

Other wise.. join a club.

This is correct because you need to build an endurance base before you start thinking about getting faster. At this stage a power meter would not tell you anything useful. A heart rate monitor would be more useful, but in the early stages a simple thing to do is to work only so hard that you are still able to have a conversation with yourself as you go along.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I fully agree, no need for a power meter whatsoever.

A quick example: My wife is late 30s, by her own admission overweight, and had never seriously ridden a bike until very late last year. She completed the 100km "ride the night" event in May, only 6 months after first getting on a road bike.

Ride. Build up your distance a little at a time, at times trying to beat your last effort by a respectable margin, and then make sure you rest and recover.

OP
OP
R

ruby123

This is correct because you need to build an endurance base before you start thinking about getting faster. At this stage a power meter would not tell you anything useful. A heart rate monitor would be more useful, but in the early stages a simple thing to do is to work only so hard that you are still able to have a conversation with yourself as you go along.
How do I build up a endurance base?

OP
OP
R

ruby123

Do you have any friends or relatives who are into cycling?
I learnt a lot from a friend who was a couple of years older than me when I was younger.
No not in particular, but my younger brother is going to train with me

OP
OP
R

ruby123

By cycling...then cycling some more.

Have you a local club you can ride with. They are an excellent way to help you ride longer and faster and most have beginner groups
I don't know about a local club

How much riding have you done? I ask because at 15, I think the first thing you need to learn is roadcraft if you haven't already. if you haven't, can I recommend cyclecraft by John Franklin. Available on Amazon 2nd hand for as little as 1.25 and it's really essential to know some of the things it talks about. Failing that, go out with someone experienced.

If you have, what Ian says. Get yourself a circuit or several and repeat them slowly upping the distance each week. Allow 2 or 3 months to get bike fit, I know that sounds a long time but you can set yourself little targets and rewards along the way.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
How do I build up a endurance base?
Just ride, see my previous post about challenging your last best effort every now and then. When you've managed 10 miles, make 15 your goal when you're feeling good. When your best is 30, make 40 your new goal. Ride.

You'll be surprised how quickly you can build an endurance, it comes in mere weeks and months and only gets better and quicker with a bit of application and grit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
as in I don't know of any or how to join
Google is your friend. Search your area for clubs. You usually just turn up and introduce yourself. All very simple, easy and friendly. You don't have to join immediately as most let you ride a few times first. It's a great way to learn cycle routes in your area and make cycling friends whilst getting cycle fit.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello Ruby. My advise would be to just have fun riding your bike. Don't worry about distances, or times, or anything else. Start off slowly, enjoy yourself. Don't take things too seriously. Once you are comfortable or feel able to, increase the distance you ride.

It won't be long before you are going further distances, and for longer. Don't get hung up on power meters or anything else. Good luck, and i hope both you and your brother have fun.

There are lots of people here who can help you with questions you might have at a later date. And welcome to the forum by the way.

Top Bottom