Being checked for ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Bought a couple of bottles of Jacobs Creek from Co-op today, and was asked for ID. I really don't mind (I'd rather them ask than be unsure and still sell), but I'm a married man of 28 fer cryin' out loud!

Can anyone beat that? When was the last time you were asked for ID, and how old were you?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Last time I got asked was in a restaurant in Colorado and wanted a beer. The waitress said, 'we card up to 40' (which means the obvious) and I was so pleased, I was actually happy to have a strawberry soft drink!

sarahpink

nope cant beat that as am 23, but did get id'd for a lottery ticket last month and think you have to be 16 to get one, get id'd all the time so it doesnt really bother me

I tried (for a laugh) to get a pensioner's bus ticket in Oslo a few weeks ago! ;)

Fortunately, the ticket bloke just looked at me, smiled and said, yeah, right!

Phew! :ohmy:

My sister and mother visited me in Stockholm a few years ago and my sister bought a ticket and a pensioner's ticket for herself and my mum.

The ticket bloke looked at her and asked which one was the pensioner! My mum laughed and my sister was livid! :ohmy:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
30 last time I was asked. Not counting the sarcastic bloke in Sainsbury's (I miss him now he's been replaced by those self-service robotills. Perhaps they could install a robotill with a similar attitude)

gavintc

Guru
I had to get a medical for my Italian racing licence. On arrival at the doctor, I handed over my Italian ID - still a piece of paper as the proper one has not arrived yet. I did the examination, including a stress test on a static bike. I then noted that the doc had incorrectly completed my age showing me as 43. I am 53. He commented that he was sure that the date was incorrectly added to my 'codice fiscale' and that I could not possibly be 53. I left his surgery a very happy man.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Kaipaith said:
Bought a couple of bottles of Jacobs Creek from Co-op today, and was asked for ID. I really don't mind (I'd rather them ask than be unsure and still sell), but I'm a married man of 28 fer cryin' out loud!

Can anyone beat that? When was the last time you were asked for ID, and how old were you?

I'm 28 and still get asked for ID, but a year or two ago I was in Asda buying quite a lot of booze (not all for me I hasten to add) and the woman said that I'd have to show her a proper ID, i.e. a passport or a driving licence.

Seeing as I didn't have either at the time, let alone on me, I simply walked out after giving a choice comment about how stupid their rules were and went to the Morrisons across the road where I had absolutely no problems whatsoever, the girl at the checkout didn't even give me a second glance!

Who in their right mind carries a passport just to go the local Asda, I mean COME ON!!

Svendo

Guru
I've not been ID'd for a few years, but I do still occasionally get asked if I want a student discount (I'm 38 and graduated 17 years ago). I do usually need a haircut tho.

Night Train

Maker of Things
addictfreak said:
I was asked in ASDA, and I'm bloody 48!
I was asked for ID in Asda too and I'm 44.

My 77 year old mum has been chucked off buses because the driver couldn't believe she was old enough to have a free bus pass. She only looks about 50, or 55 tops.:ohmy:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Night Train said:
I was asked for ID in Asda too and I'm 44.

My 77 year old mum has been chucked off buses because the driver couldn't believe she was old enough to have a free bus pass. She only looks about 50, or 55 tops.:ohmy:

That reminds me of our Italian Friends. when we first knew them, the wife looked to be in her early/mid 40s, and rather glamourous looking.

She was actually 60.

rusky

CC Addict
The woman at work was surprised when a bus driver wanted to charge her a childs fare - the same as he'd just charged her 16 year old daughter!

She does get asked for ID regularly too, usually after they've asked & seen her daughter's & are surprised when she tells them their relationship!

There was a thing about this on the beeb's website a couple of weeks ago. A 40 something year old bloke on holiday in the states got asked for i.d in a bar and then they wouldn't accept his Bristish passport 'cause it was 'foreign'!

Top Bottom