Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
What you were writing about - do women get treated differently on a bike and do they get different treatment due to clothing that was before it was hijacked.

I agree with what you've written about the 'it's a woman,must overtake- can't be beaten by a woman on a bike' when I was well enough to be commuting - I used to take great delight in leaving those idiots for dead at the traffic lights - pathetic that most of them used to RLJ just to try and gain an advantage.

The lewd comments from other cyclist and motorists was just disgusting. Got tough not flipping them a finger or telling them to f off. Oh the joys of commuting!

jimboalee

ttcycle said:
yawn...there is no point engaging with this ie jimbo anymore- i welcome this being put into room 101.

Firstly, you've turned a post not originally about primary/secondary into one - vacillated and wobbled with an inconsistent arguement, kept it going when there was no point to it anymore as you just kept contradicting yourself.

The point that remains unanswered is that your perception/fears do not excuse bad driver behaviour. That needs to be tackled not conceded to -ie letting motorists do what the hell they want even if it endangers others.

Jimbo you had a nasty crash but it does not warrant the defence of bad driving etc

People are just disagreeing with you- there is no secret police for god sake get over it. If you don't like the comments or people disagreeing either argue your point more convincingly or learn that this is a cycling forum where people do differ in opinion but many people will just not accept that bad driving is ok.

Why, ttcycle, have you jumped back in to have another pop?

If you consider this thread now pointless, don't visit it again.

What's this Room 101. Is it a dumping ground for all the threads where the 'inner circle' can't get their own way?

What was wrong with my saying "Drivers shout at cyclists because they think the cyclist is in their way"? That's bloody obvious, but the 'inner circle' blame the motorist immediately with the automatic assumption the cyclist can do no wrong.
Trouble is, what you regard as "wrong" is getting out of the motorist's way; and what the motorist thinks is 'wrong' is the cyclist riding down the middle of the road through a xrds or TL.

Sa all in all, when a cyclist is "Wrong" in your view, everyone is happy, and when the cyclist is "Right", the motorist is annoyed and the inexperienced cyclist feels intimidated.

You can quote me many instances in your cycling past where you did the 'Right' thing and the motorist was pleased.
All it needs is one motorist who loses his rag, and you're a grille ornament or pavement parachutist.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ttcycle said:
I'd agree with you Dell- having had that nasty experience a few months back with that truck driver, I reckon there are some people out there that like to intimidate women cyclists- I don't make a habit of girly clothing on the bike as it's not my thing, I cycle confidently and with a good pace but on the odd day there will be rudeness - a lot of it of a suggestive/lewd nature.

I don't think road postion influences that tbh;)

Dell - does the babe find that she gets a lot of trouble on the roads or have you witnessed different treatment when you are out riding with her?
Very much so. She'll gets bullied far more than I do - and I reckon that's because I look like I can catch them up and hand it out.

jimboalee said:
Why, ttcycle, have you jumped back in to have another pop?

If you consider this thread now pointless, don't visit it again.

What's this Room 101. Is it a dumping ground for all the threads where the 'inner circle' can't get their own way?
What was wrong with my saying "Drivers shout at cyclists because they think the cyclist is in their way"? That's bloody obvious, but the 'inner circle' blame the motorist immediately with the automatic assumption the cyclist can do no wrong.
Trouble is, what you regard as "wrong" is getting out of the motorist's way; and what the motorist thinks is 'wrong' is the cyclist riding down the middle of the road through a xrds or TL.

Sa all in all, when a cyclist is "Wrong" in your view, everyone is happy, and when the cyclist is "Right", the motorist is annoyed and the inexperienced cyclist feels intimidated.

You can quote me many instances in your cycling past where you did the 'Right' thing and the motorist was pleased.
All it needs is one motorist who loses his rag, and you're a grille ornament or pavement parachutist.

You strike me as more interested in having a go at an imaginary "secret police" than you do in engaging in serious debate or convincing anyone of the merit of your views. It's certainly been a while since you actually made a coherent point and refrained from making a series of thinly disguised digs and attempts to wind people up.

User3143 said:
No way should this go to room 101, WTF is it with some people?

It's not going to go anywhere though, is it? Jimbo is welcome to ride as he pleases - and I suspect he rides in much the same way as many of those he's arguing with - but it's increasingly clear he's more interested in talking a good fight than actually debating with folk. That's what room 101 is for - threads that are going round and round and round and not getting anywhere.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Jimbo if you take the time to read my previous post, I;m not saying cyclist blanket are always right. I think if you also re-read what you've written - you've kind of cpontradicted yourself.

Taking primary when appropriate to do so is fine.

What is this inner circle you mention? Is it the small tiny perspective you view the world from perchance?

In fact jimbo - doing the right thing and being in primary saved my life in a near hit. No one even out of the context of cycling can control the response of other people- we just need to actually do things that keep us safe.

Dell, that's sad that people do that but having experienced it myself, I'm not surprised. though they often find it bizarre that I can catch them up. Still sometimes not worth engaging with stupidity on the roads

Lee I don't mind jimbo riding differently, that's the issue- it's just the idea he accepts that's it ok to let people driving badly dictate how other cyclists ride on the road. Many people don't cycle cause of fear of safety- actually cycling is very safe but if the close passes and stupid behaviour continue and also people continue to cycle badly or break rules - things will not improve. He can cycle how he wants to if it keeps him safe and on the roads but the issue is why defend bad driving and say it is the fault of the cyclist's position when often it isn't

BTW jimbo I wasn't having a pop as you put it- just picking up the info from your posts which has gone round and round and back round again.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Wheeledweenie said:
What was this thread about originally by the way?

*ahem* I started it as I had been pondering whether the miscellaneous yells I seem to get would diminish if I were clearly female as opposed to 'a high viz well wrapped up thing'... then it got well sidetracked.

The yells, BTW, are usually from pedestrians (bunches of kids mostly) or from motorists going the other way (doubt I'd hear them if there was traffic on my side), or from misc unidentified pedestrians (i.e. the 'boo' trying to scare you off the bike after you've gone past...)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I agree with you RT - jimbo rides with road sense but his arguement is becoming incoherent as one minute it's this, then the next minute it's something else.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
lee - what I've said before earlier is that sometimes it is down to the cyclist as well, cyclists aren't infallible saints - however in the vid you mention, Mr P didn't take a strong position when the road became two lanes but conversely, motorist should not have come through and overtaken to then stop at lights.

If this was about genuine discussion about positioning or god forbid the OP's discussion point but it's just getting circular

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lee, maybe you've missed Jim being inconsistent in his debating, changing his argument, and all sorts of shenanigans. He's behaved somewhat like a troll on this topic in some posts. Room 101 is the right place for pointless and stupid debates that are going nowhere.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
SavageHoutkop said:
*ahem* I started it as I had been pondering whether the miscellaneous yells I seem to get would diminish if I were clearly female as opposed to 'a high viz well wrapped up thing'... then it got well sidetracked.

The yells, BTW, are usually from pedestrians (bunches of kids mostly) or from motorists going the other way (doubt I'd hear them if there was traffic on my side), or from misc unidentified pedestrians (i.e. the 'boo' trying to scare you off the bike after you've gone past...)

I've had someone try to smack my helmet out of the passenger window of a van, had kids swerve at me in cars and had teenagers yell stuff while standing on the pavement and I'm discernibly female.

I have also, however, been let in or been waited for by lorry drivers who have not done so for male cyclists and quite a few of the yells from bystanders have been along the lines of 'Feel the burn' and singing the Rocky theme as I struggle up hills rather than anything nasty. It's all swings and roundabouts I reckon.

thomas

the tank engine
Wheeledweenie said:
I've had someone try to smack my helmet out of the passenger window of a van, had kids swerve at me in cars and had teenagers yell stuff while standing on the pavement and I'm discernibly female.

I have also, however, been let in or been waited for by lorry drivers who have not done so for male cyclists and quite a few of the yells from bystanders have been along the lines of 'Feel the burn' and singing the Rocky theme as I struggle up hills rather than anything nasty. It's all swings and roundabouts I reckon.

I think it's better to take most things well, rather than badly however they're intended. It'll keep you calm and make you seem good natured.

Last year sometime one night some chavs in a car yelled "come on my son!". I just gave them some friendly air zound toots and when we both arrived at the lights we sort of both gave each other a friendly nod. They obviously weren't quite expecting me to have a horn.

About 20 minutes later (I think) the same driver was coming the other way and gave some friendly toots when they saw me. :laugh:

Top Bottom