Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
tdr1nka said:
I think it's a very Western view that the car is supreme, also other cultures tend to be more civil to each other, on the surface at least.

nah, in the east bigger is better. :thumbsup:

brokenbetty

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
Asking you for the second time Brokenbetty...where have I criticised someone for riding primary?

You didn't answer but just conveniently ignored my question...as to my answer in post 243.

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you but since you went on to say "Anyway, it was just a sarcastic response..." I didn't realise you wanted me to answer. Frankly I was very happy letting the thread amble back to the original topic.

I just read back and see you didn't criticise anyone for riding primary, you just said it wasn't right for you.

I was wrong on that point and I apologise to Hackbike.

brokenbetty said:
Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you but since you went on to say "Anyway, it was just a sarcastic response..." I didn't realise you wanted me to answer. Frankly I was very happy letting the thread amble back to the original topic.

I just read back and see you didn't criticise anyone for riding primary, you just said it wasn't right for you.

I was wrong on that point and I apologise to Hackbike.

Thanks I appreciate that but I realised I misread your post making me look like a twat yet again.

In the bold bit I do it a bit at times but as may be obvious im probably not that easy with some nutter in a metal box behind me so I generally try to get them in front of me where I prefer as I can see what they are up to.I had a nasty incident with a cab recently but that was probably just because he was a nasty prat and not with me being in primary.

As I say I have been very careful with not criticising people on here and their videos but just try and give an honest opinion.

tdr1nka said:
I think it's a very Western view that the car is supreme, also other cultures tend to be more civil to each other, on the surface at least.

Aye.

jimboalee

tdr1nka said:

It only seemed to be London where I saw ignorant tossers in cars.

New York was fine. Boston, Mass was fine. LA was fine. San Fran was fine. Paris ( France ) was fine. Dublin was fine. Palma Majorca was fine. Tenerife was fine. Cadiz was fine. Seville was fine. Naples was fine. Don't know about Venice. Athens was a bit dodgy.
Frankfurt was absolutely terrific.
Birmingham ( UK ) is fine, and so was Manchester.

Only London is a shoot heap of motorised twats.

jimboalee

Nah, Birmingham has its fair share.

It depends on the individual's perception of what constitutes a 'motorist tosser'.

If you regard a driver who passes within two feet to be a tosser, you will see lots of them. If you don't mind this closeness and ride past moving cars as close, then you won't see many.
I don't see many.

The real mark of a motorist tosser is the one who drag races a bicycle off traffic lights.
Yes I do see them in Brum, but only when I'm wearing my NHRA Tee shirt.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
If you regard a driver who passes within two feet to be a tosser, you will see lots of them. If you don't mind this closeness and ride past moving cars as close, then you won't see many.
I don't see many.

Unless the vehicle is travelling very slowly 2 foot is too close - it's poor driving. The vast majority of cyclists find this unnerving and what's more it allows only limited wobble room.

jimboalee

Origamist said:
Unless the vehicle is travelling very slowly 2 foot is too close - it's poor driving. The vast majority of cyclists find this unnerving and what's more it allows only limited wobble room.

When I'm cruising along at 15mph and I hear and then see a bus beside me doing 20mph, I will touch the brakes and let it go ahead. A 12' lane is plenty wide enough but I'll settle for the warm air off it's engine.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
When I'm cruising along at 15mph and I hear and then see a bus beside me doing 20mph, I will touch the brakes and let it go ahead. A 12' lane is plenty wide enough but I'll settle for the warm air off it's engine.

Not for the first time, just because you're happy to be overtaken closely, it does not mean others are!

TRL research has shown that, under test conditions, nearly half the cyclists studied felt unsafe when cars travelling at 20mph passed them with a clearance of 0.95m, 20% felt unsafe at 1.2m! Only one person in the test felt comfortable being passed at 0.73m (perhaps that was you Jim?).

jimboalee

Origamist said:
Not for the first time, just because you're happy to be overtaken closely, it does not mean others are!

TRL research has shown that, under test conditions, nearly half the cyclists studied felt unsafe when cars travelling at 20mph passed them with a clearance of 0.95m, 20% felt unsafe at 1.2m! Only one person in the test felt comfortable being passed at 0.73m (perhaps that was you Jim?).

The site's Secret Police have collared me again.

Please read my post VERY carefully.

The post was my personal view on your previous post.

NOWHERE do I say any other cyclist should regard a close bus as acceptable.

You're comment is quite true. Other's aren't comfortable with close passes, but did I say they should be?

Maybe the readership might be interested to hear the views of someone other than an indoctrinated CycleCraftite.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
The site's Secret Police have collared me again.

Please read my post VERY carefully.

The post was my personal view on your previous post.

NOWHERE do I say any other cyclist should regard a close bus as acceptable.

You're comment is quite true. Other's aren't comfortable with close passes, but did I say they should be?

Maybe the readership might be interested to hear the views of someone other than an indoctrinated CycleCraftite.

I don't think you understand how the secret police work, Jim ("secret" is a bit of a clue) - I'm more of a dull forum prefect.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
yawn...there is no point engaging with this ie jimbo anymore- i welcome this being put into room 101.

Firstly, you've turned a post not originally about primary/secondary into one - vacillated and wobbled with an inconsistent arguement, kept it going when there was no point to it anymore as you just kept contradicting yourself.

The point that remains unanswered is that your perception/fears do not excuse bad driver behaviour. That needs to be tackled not conceded to -ie letting motorists do what the hell they want even if it endangers others.

Jimbo you had a nasty crash but it does not warrant the defence of bad driving etc

People are just disagreeing with you- there is no secret police for god sake get over it. If you don't like the comments or people disagreeing either argue your point more convincingly or learn that this is a cycling forum where people do differ in opinion but many people will just not accept that bad driving is ok.

joebingo

Über Member
jimboalee said:
The real mark of a motorist tosser is the one who drag races a bicycle off traffic lights.
Yes I do see them in Brum, but only when I'm wearing my NHRA Tee shirt.

I had a guy do that to me the other day, pulled up next to me at some lights and revved so I looked at him and nodded.

There were 2 lanes and it was 2 in the morning, so no other traffic whatsoever. Had a good laugh/chat with him at the next red :sad:

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Norm said:
:ohmy: Touché. :rofl:

I'm giggling at the "BSO" thing, though, as I have a Secteur which is pretty much a Sirrus with curly bars. :sad: :biggrin:

Ah, I knew I'd be safe with sarcasm. Most people on here have 'posher' bikes than my Reg. I love him though.

What was this thread about originally by the way?

Top Bottom