Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
jimbo - there is empathy with the hit and run but as subsequent posters say- it wasn't the road positioning and it's a shame that it's knocked your confidence so much to affect your riding still.

As for people not appreciating cycling...that's another story!

brokenbetty

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
If I criticise other cyclists for their road positioning it means im getting too cocky and above my station.

Yet by saying you think riding in primary causes problems, that is exactly what you are doing.

brokenbetty said:
Yet by saying you think riding in primary causes problems, that is exactly what you are doing.

So where did I say that?

Anyway that was a sarcastic comment as we seem to get enough of that on here.

If you want my honest opinion....both riding primary and secondary has their problems but I don't ever remember criticising someone on here for their road positioning even if I don't agree with it.As I said I have to do what I have got used too over the last 30+ years.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
coruskate said:
Funny, I got beeped at once for riding in a straight line at the speed of the car in front. By a professional driver, too
and the colour of the vehicle would have been.......

Going all the way back to page 2....I was struck by brokenbetty's point that she thought she received less abuse because she was wearing girly clothes. My distinct impression is that women cyclists receive a good deal more abuse than men - and that they're on the receiving end of a good deal more bullying.

Thoughts?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'd agree with you Dell- having had that nasty experience a few months back with that truck driver, I reckon there are some people out there that like to intimidate women cyclists- I don't make a habit of girly clothing on the bike as it's not my thing, I cycle confidently and with a good pace but on the odd day there will be rudeness - a lot of it of a suggestive/lewd nature.

I don't think road postion influences that tbh;)

Dell - does the babe find that she gets a lot of trouble on the roads or have you witnessed different treatment when you are out riding with her?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I seem to recall Jim saying how the highway code says it all about what's needed for a cyclist, and then when we pointed out the picture of an ASL with cyclists taking, there was much muttering and attempting to change what he'd said. Jim, I think many on here are feeling at least a little frustrated with your inconsistent debate. Sometimes you claim taking the lane is good riding, and other times it's poor practice that leads to motorists getting all shouty. Then you try to blame positioning and cyclecraft for your awful crash. I also wonder whether most of this whole topic is not more about your own prejudices and fears.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
dellzeqq said:
and the colour of the vehicle would have been.......

Going all the way back to page 2....I was struck by brokenbetty's point that she thought she received less abuse because she was wearing girly clothes. My distinct impression is that women cyclists receive a good deal more abuse than men - and that they're on the receiving end of a good deal more bullying.

Thoughts?

I think girly clothing can work both ways... I'm generally assertive in my riding so I don't think I get more bullied as a result of wearing girly clothes. But I don't worry that they might use the philosophy of its a girl I'll give her more space in case she wobbles - in fact I may even play on that a bit. I certainly think in summer, girly clothing can have a positive effect on motorists.

I think if you aren't assertive in the first place it could lead to being bullied more.

I'm just in from my commute - no aggression, some daft driving - like the lorry who thought he would overtake and then turn left but he realised his mistake and just stopped and waited. And then other drivers who went out of their way to let me out of side roads when they didn't really need to. The worst thing I encountered were badly parked cars - either blocking a cycle contra-flow x2 or a police van parked close to a junction obscuring my view.

hackbike 666 said:
So where did I say that?

Anyway that was a sarcastic comment as we seem to get enough of that on here.

If you want my honest opinion....both riding primary and secondary has their problems but I don't ever remember criticising someone on here for their road positioning even if I don't agree with it.As I said I have to do what I have got used too over the last 30+ years.

I think you have fallen foul of the cycling stasi on here mate, it seems to be ride their way or not at all!

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I wear a lot of pink on my cycle gear, and I seem to get quite a lot of abuse if my fellow commuters are anything to go by as the boys at work say they don't get as much as I do. I also seem to be on the receiving end of far more aggressive behaviour by other cyclists unfortunately.

I too have had ttcycle's problem of lewd comments as well. I also get 'birted' with fairly regularly, ie men on bikes tend to strike up random conversations about how nice my bike is at traffic lights and things. I'm suspicious of their motives as Reg is a Specialized Sirrus who has many chips and is generally quite filthy. Hmmmmmmmm

Wheeledweenie said:
I wear a lot of pink on my cycle gear, and I seem to get quite a lot of abuse if my fellow commuters are anything to go by as the boys at work say they don't get as much as I do. I also seem to be on the receiving end of far more aggressive behaviour by other cyclists unfortunately.

I too have had ttcycle's problem of lewd comments as well. I also get 'birted' with fairly regularly, ie men on bikes tend to strike up random conversations about how nice my bike is at traffic lights and things. I'm suspicious of their motives as Reg is a Specialized Sirrus who has many chips and is generally quite filthy. Hmmmmmmmm

That is sad to hear, i have to say that i have never experienced or heard of anything like that before. Some strange peps out there for sure

thomas

the tank engine
Wheeledweenie said:

If you do my commute I'd have a chat (no motives....probably). Typically, the few people on my commute would be more "serious" cyclists and manly blokes so a nod/wave or a quick chat in traffic doesn't really have any motives :evil:....I did notice that out of the two women who I saw, one who seemed to be more serious seemed to ignore a friendly wave or nod, where as the other lady who I guess was more of a POB seemed more friendly and would wave back.

I'd of liked to have thought that women would get it easier on the road....

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Obviously it's never any of the enlightened chaps on here but I have, on more than one occasion, heard something along the lines of 'I'm not going to be beaten by a girl' before being overtaken at very close quarters or followed obscenely closely.

But I'm on the 'Tour de Commute' of the Uxbridge Road and it's notoriously competitive.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Norm said:
*pulls up next to WW*

Oh, nice bike. Fancy a coffee? :evil:

*Blushes a dainty and rosy pink*

Not with someone on a BSO like that. Sniff.

*Pedals off into the distance haughtily*

In all seriousness though, most of the genuinely friendly conversations with other cyclists (and I have many) don't involve mentions of my figure, hence when it crosses the line to birting.

Top Bottom