Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Wheeledweenie said:
Obviously it's never any of the enlightened chaps on here but I have, on more than one occasion, heard something along the lines of 'I'm not going to be beaten by a girl' before being overtaken at very close quarters or followed obscenely closely.

But I'm on the 'Tour de Commute' of the Uxbridge Road and it's notoriously competitive.

That was funny until you mentioned the overtake...in just how pathetic they were. Though if you overtook me, I'd probably put some more effort in :evil:

thomas said:
That was funny until you mentioned the overtake...in just how pathetic they were. Though if you overtook me, I'd probably put some more effort in :biggrin:

I dont like being overtaken by anyone! :evil::evil::biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
addictfreak said:
I think you have fallen foul of the cycling stasi on here mate, it seems to be ride their way or not at all!

Ride how you want - just make sure you're making an informed decision.

jimboalee

Blimey, it was 18 months ago I gave a young lady a bit of clothing advice.

I rode up beside and suggested "you're not supposed to wear a thong under cycle shorts".

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
thomas said:
That was funny until you mentioned the overtake...in just how pathetic they were. Though if you overtook me, I'd probably put some more effort in :biggrin:

Oh I'm sure you wouldn't have to try very hard. After all, I'm just a girl :evil:

What makes me giggle is that I'm by no means the fastest rider I know and am quite happy for people to overtake me. The only time I've consciously raced two blokes was when they (on posh road bikes) attempted to best me on a steep hill where I used to live (on Reg with heavy panniers) and mentioned my gender. I saw red and left them far behind. They admitted they were impressed when they finally caught up at a roundabout.

I turned into my road and was well out of sight before I collapsed!

Debian

summerdays said:
I think girly clothing can work both ways... I'm generally assertive in my riding so I don't think I get more bullied as a result of wearing girly clothes. But I don't worry that they might use the philosophy of its a girl I'll give her more space in case she wobbles - in fact I may even play on that a bit. I certainly think in summer, girly clothing can have a positive effect on motorists.

Sorry, lightening / lowering the tone here. I couldn't agree more! certainly makes me slow down :biggrin: :evil:

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:

I rode up beside and suggested "you're not supposed to wear a thong under cycle shorts".

As long as you didn't ask what position she prefers :evil: (fnar fnar :biggrin:)

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
jimboalee said:

The chafing doesn't bear thinking about! Eep!

thomas

the tank engine
Wheeledweenie said:
Oh I'm sure you wouldn't have to try very hard. After all, I'm just a girl :evil:

I also have an allez which is a bit more racy than a sirrus....and no panniers, etc....though I do have a rucksack which knocks a mph or two of the average :biggrin:

I generally found that the other people on my commute (there was very occasionally someone else) was of a similar fitness....and nearly always used to just sit behind me, not offering to help:angry:! Other than on two occasions when two people asked if we wanted to take turns up front....one when quite windy, another when hungover so was definitely up for it :biggrin:

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I hate drafting, it makes me nervous, whether I'm upfront or not. A couple of friends complained about being tailgated by other cyclists and when I suggested that they were, perhaps, drafting they were immensely flattered. I just find it irritating.

Norm

Wheeledweenie said:
*Blushes a dainty and rosy pink*

Not with someone on a BSO like that. Sniff.

*Pedals off into the distance haughtily*
:biggrin: Touché. :biggrin:

I'm giggling at the "BSO" thing, though, as I have a Secteur which is pretty much a Sirrus with curly bars. :evil: :ohmy:

brokenbetty said:
Yet by saying you think riding in primary causes problems, that is exactly what you are doing.

Asking you for the second time Brokenbetty...where have I criticised someone for riding primary?

You didn't answer but just conveniently ignored my question...as to my answer in post 243.

It's very rare that I criticise unless it's absolutely deserved....shame some people can't follow suit on here.

As I said in my post 243 riding in both primary and secondary causes problems IMHO but I don't criticise people for doing it.

tdr1nka said:
And then again cycling on the roads where ever you put yourself is an affront to some drivers who don't believe we should even be on the roads.
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Agree but this doesn't apply in other countries I have cycled in.

I have found other road users very good in Thailand/Japan/Gran Canaria but then again I don't think the car is the king of the road out there.Or perhaps it's just peoples general attitude.

Top Bottom