Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
nothing to do with that Jimbo - come cycle down here with some of us (it would be a real pleasure to meet another CCer) and cyclists despite the large numbers get yelled at and abuse despite cyclecraft-can you not understand that some motorists are angsty and horrible and would rather people didn't cycle on the roads at all - people get yelled at despite their road positioning - sometimes cyclist is at fault, often not at all.

Can you just not understand that some of the time- bad driving and or bad attitudes/misunderstanding of cycling safety from a motorist are what make them hyell- your correlation between cycle craft and this is spurious.

Many have used it well with no problems as people have said and have been praised too-myself included -if you've had crap from motorists when in primary and correctly in priamry for the right reasons,then surely the motorist is at fault - not you -how can you not see this?

Plus increasing numbers of cyclists will statistically get more incidents of being shouted out by simply the fact that there are more cyclists

thomas

the tank engine
jimboalee said:
The increasing number of cyclists shouted at by motorists, appears to me, to be in line with the popularity of a book called CycleCraft.

I got shouted at before reading cyclecraft.

I will admit that taking primary has caused me to be honked....This was on a two lane section of road, so he overtook with plenty of room (and no time delay) in the outside lane. When I caught him up he said the highway code clearly stated that cyclists should be 2 feet from the kerb.

Now this is obviously incorrect as the highway code doesn't stipulate any distance. Why should I care for the opinion of a motorist who doesn't actually know what they're talking about?

I certainly wasn't too bothered when the guy yelled at me when I told him he was wrong. I was just glad that because of my sensible use of primary he was forced to overtake correctly, rather than potentially in the same lane.

ANYYYWAAAAYY, why is this still going on? We need some new threads in commuting :smile:

jimboalee

My second incident was a bad experience.

I rode 'to the book', 'took the road' and asserted my position as not to be cut up. Despite this, the car following nudged me into the curb after the site of the constriction. I hit the pavement and got a broken left arm.

"If this is what Franklin's words gets you, why bother?" Following this incident, I was of the mind to return to Jimbo's trusted style. I did, and haven't had a toot or shout or any aggressive behaviour from a motorist.

Scarred for life.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
jimbo, it sounds like that was horrific,clearly the motorist was wrong there, very wrong. Your position wasn't at fault they were

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:

I rode 'to the book', 'took the road' and asserted my position as not to be cut up. Despite this, the car following nudged me into the curb after the site of the constriction. I hit the pavement and got a broken left arm.[/QUOTE]

What did the police say? Was the driver prosecuted?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I have no issue with Jimbo riding the way he feels is safe and it sounds like it's the same as the majority of what we all do from reading his descriptions- it's just the idea that motorist giving cyclists grief should dictate the way someone rides is what I have an issue with. I can understand given the circumstances but then even if we all did the best practice and were exemplary cyclists - things would still happen as we can't control every factor on the roads -These commuting pages are filled with accidents and bad incidents for that reason.

User3143 said:
Jimbo, if you are happy with your style of riding then stick with it.

Blimey...I like you lee.One of the most sensible people on here.:biggrin:

On the yelling part...It's extremely rare for me to get yelled at except if I have had a go at a moton myself.
Of course I only have a go sometimes if they endanger me for some way.
I try and change my riding because im told I am cycling wrong/cyclecraft blah blah blah,but it doesn't suit me and it only endangers me.

Im still having nightmares for when I took up primary last week at roadworks and that taxi driver near Bank took a dislike to me blocking him out riding primary.
I had to go straight through a red because I was aware he wasn't stopping behind me.

Im happy with my cycling.

jimboalee

brokenbetty;1098368][QUOTE=jimboalee said:

I rode 'to the book', 'took the road' and asserted my position as not to be cut up. Despite this, the car following nudged me into the curb after the site of the constriction. I hit the pavement and got a broken left arm.[/QUOTE]

What did the police say? Was the driver prosecuted?

Hit and run. Copper couldn't do anything.

I was falling sideways and looking for railings/lamp posts instead of clocking his Reg. Plate.

brokenbetty

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
Im still having nightmares for when I took up primary last week at roadworks and that taxi driver near Bank took a dislike to me blocking him out riding primary.

Yet I ride through Bank every day and I always take primary because I don't want to get squiched by a bus as the road narrows. No driver has EVER taken exception to this.

Whatever is triggering the aggression, it can't just be road positioning or I would get it too.

Unless it's the flowery panniers of course.

jimboalee

I am detecting a little empathy.

Which is more than my ex Wife..
"Now will you give up that stupid cycling lark?"

Note, she is my EX wife :biggrin:

The copper was surprised I was more concerned about my front changer than my limbs.

He said "I presume you weren't speeding ( 30 mph ) so you in no way to blame".

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:
He said "I presume you weren't speeding ( 30 mph ) so you in no way to blame".

So why do you think it was your road positioning that was the problem rather than the fact you encountered a nutter?

Your own descriptions show that you do ride in primary when necessary. Why was this time different, that you blame yourself not the driver?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Yet you insist in suspecting that all 'primary' riding gets other cyclists into trouble with motorists?

London has a high concentration of motorists thus you get more impatient motorists for your mile, this doesn't mean I have to compromise my riding and safety to appease every frustrated driver, if I did slow or stop for every car wanting to get past me my journey would become pointless as it would be quicker to walk.:biggrin:

Jim you are appearing to be just trolling this tread to be contentious and smug.
Everyone has differing opinions and rides, my bike and I can do a steady 20mph on the flat and I use skills gleaned from Cyclecraft.

Most of what I teach year 6 school kids and adults alike is based on Cyclecraft, it is considered essential reading and part of the national standard.

Please drop your pretence as there is little more to be said on the matter, folk have agreed and disagreed with you and yet you keep revising your rather contentious point.
Otherwise, you just keep trolling away.

brokenbetty said:
Yet I ride through Bank every day and I always take primary because I don't want to get squiched by a bus as the road narrows. No driver has EVER taken exception to this.

Whatever is triggering the aggression, it can't just be road positioning or I would get it too.

Unless it's the flowery panniers of course.

It happened and it was nasty.
I have rode through Bank for the last twenty years and never had a problem even with the bad way Im supposed to have been cycling..

Yet you insist in suspecting that all 'primary' riding gets other cyclists into trouble with motorists?
It's rare I find cyclist riding much different to me.Generally Im thinking that some of these cyclists are badly positioned or are riding too defensively.

What do I know though?

If I criticise other cyclists for their road positioning it means im getting too cocky and above my station.

Top Bottom