Bell End Bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not for me, I have a pair of cateye orbs there, which I think use the space better.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I only have a bell on one of my drop bar bikes, usually used for warning people that I might have had a couple too many beers. The location of this for me (beers or no beers) is worse than any other I can think of. Mind you, I am a huge fan of bellowing a cheery good morning over and above the use of a bell anyway, so what do I know?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I only use a bell on the gravel bike, given that's the bike that gets used on bridleways/ old railways etc. I think on the tops of the bar is a better location and £2.99 from wiggle is a better price. I more favour a cheery hello than a bell, but some walkers react better to a bell.

I like the look of the cateye orb, but not for the bike with bar end shifters! :okay:

I like the look of the cateye orb, but not for the bike with bar end shifters! :okay:

wow, who would have thought that such a location on the end of drop bars could be so useful! Maybe someone should invent a drop bar with 3 ‘ends’ to facilitate all three (currently) uses?

carpiste

Guru
Theres times when people you know have heard you on the gravel and heard your bell.....

For those occasions I`d love an old fashioned Ooga car horn!

Bell end bar exists as bell end is NW of Birmingham, by rowley Regis. Keep meaning to cycle there to grab photo for the craic !!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The reviewer says this:

"On a drop bar there's nowhere you can put a bell that's always going to be in exactly the right place for where your hands are, so wherever you mount one is going to be a compromise."

Absolute nonsense. Total codswallop. I only use a bell on my gravel bike. It's easily positioned so I can use it with my left thumb without changing hand position and still able to use the levers.

In the bar end is the worst possible place for a bell.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I had a cheapo bell complete with clamp lying about. I was messing about and slid it onto my forefinger like a ring. In that position the pinger sits under my thumb and it actually worked really well. I did think at the time that it could be adopted by runners to alert people when coming up behind them, or cyclists, as you’d always have a bell with you 😉

Top Bottom