Bell on your roadbike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Vocal cords not working???

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I have not got one on the road bike, but I do on the town bike and mtb because they're the one's I tend to use on dual use paths or bridleways.

Ringing a bell seems to be so much more effective than shouting as pedestians instantly know it's a cyclist that wants to get past, so step aside, whereas I have found, that if you hail them, they just turn round to see what you want.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tim Bennet. said:
I have not got one on the road bike, but I do on the town bike and mtb because they're the one's I tend to use on dual use paths on bridleways.

Ringing a bell seems to be so much more effective than shouting as pedestrians instantly know it's a cyclist that wants to get past, so step aside, whereas I have found, that if you hail them, they just turn round to see what you want.

Second this, certainly on shared paths etc. a bell is invaluable..
On the road-bike, I find my megaphonic voice honed by years of shouting at my kids and malfunctioning inanimate objects is all that's required for projecting various phrases of panic/alarm/warning and occasionally abuse at other road users. The tinkling of bell doesn't quite cut-it in comparison and an Air-Zound seems very impersonal.

Membrane

Tim Bennet. said:
Ringing a bell seems to be so much more effective than shouting as pedestians instantly know it's a cyclist that wants to get past, so step aside

Not around here they don't. Plus "ting-ting" really doesn't cut it with iPodestrians.

whereas I have found, that if you hail them, they just turn round to see what you want.

But you have an infinate number of volume graduations and phrases and/or sounds to your disposal. I have no trouble matching the volume of an air-zound, with none of the weight, space and limited air supply trouble.

Bigtallfatbloke

i just shout at them...mind your backs...or bike coming through...or if it's a bunch of chavs...get the **** out of my way self-gratification artists:biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Of course, you cant win whatever you do.

The cyclepaths here are split. Cycles one side, peds on the other. Theres usually someone on the wrong side.

Ive seen guys with bells ride down a cyclepath..ping at a ped just ambling along....:biggrin::angry::angry:is the look he got from the ped...as though to say 'who the fcuk are you' !!!

Ive tried 'squeeze through if i may'....to get a haughty stare back. Not always of course, but often enough.

Then riding home the other day with SWMBO..no bell, no need to alert a dog walker, hes already seen us coming and moved well over.
'Thankyou' i uttered as we went past...
'No, No , its ok'...came the sarcastic reply from the dogwalker :ohmy::wacko::smile:

He obviously didnt hear me ???
It kinda peed me off, but then i spose i didnt say it loud enough. Still...i wont lose any sleep.

On the other side of the path....
Walking to a pub last night with SWMBO. Just crossing a path we dont normally use...in an area we dont normally frequent.
Two cyclists oncoming, so i ushered wife to the side as they passed. One muttered something as he went by...a little unhappy apparently.
This is like a red rag to the other half. :biggrin::angry::biggrin::biggrin:

Hang on i said ....we're walking on a section of cyclepath :blush::blush::smile:

Danny

Legendary Member
Membrane said:
Not around here they don't. Plus "ting-ting" really doesn't cut it with iPodestrians.

Agreed, I have recently had a couple of near misses where kids with ipods have stepped out in front of me and have been oblivious to my loudest shouting-at- my-son voice.

What is an air-zound? If it can get through to an ipod wearer I want one.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A little naughty perhaps, but what i was guaging was how many stout and upright law abiding cyclists who never RLJ, never cycle on the path...etc etc ect...would come out and say they have a bell....

I thought not :blush::biggrin::biggrin: Its a 'difficult' thing to settle in my mind ...

Top Bottom