Bell on your roadbike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

The only one of my steeds that has a bell on it is the recumbent - it came with a bell on it. Round my parts, using a bell is of no use whatsoever. It's not heard/is ignored. I find a much better way is a polite call out to the pedestrian who happens to be in the road (round my way there are very few pavements alongside roads - if you want to walk, you walk along the road), same with horses - a polite call out to the rider works well. I also find a 'thank you' from me as I pass by is appreciated.

longers

Legendary Member
I've got a squeaky Penguin and a Crocodile attached to two of my bikes. I think they came from Halfords a few years ago and are designed to be fitted to bikes on the bars. I thought they'd get round the rattle problem but are virtually useless as they sound like a dog toy and have been mistaken for bird call (very satisfying to tell them it was a Penguin, in Cumbria :smile:) and are generally ignored by people.

I've still got them on though :blush:.

The only bell I'd consider is a quick release bell I can fling at {insert something which irrtates you}. Other than that they only go on bikes with baskets on the front and anyone who considers one needs electro-shock treatment and a strait-jacket:evil:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like my bell ... gives my bike a bit of character, and is a talking point with kids. Do I use it... no ... not really.

I have four assorted bells on my Schwinn Black Phantom and can ring two of them simultaneously; the spin bell goes BLINGABLINGablingalingalingalingaling whilst the Ding-dong bell goes ..er..DING DONG (or DING..................DONG if you hold the ringer down). They add about 2lbs to the weight of the bike but since it weighs over 50lbs its not a big deal.

The idea of fitting a bell to my Rocky mountain gives me simultaneously an ice cream headache and the squits, although the suggestion of a carbon fibre one has some merit. I'd have to drill some holes in it though to minimise its gravitational effect on my bike.

mickle said:
I have four assorted bells on my Schwinn Black Phantom and can ring two of them simultaneously; the spin bell goes BLINGABLINGablingalingalingalingaling whilst the Ding-dong bell goes ..er..DING DONG (or DING..................DONG if you hold the ringer down). They add about 2lbs to the weight of the bike but since it weighs over 50lbs its not a big deal.

According to The Musicians Union Charter, chapter 2 paragraph VII, you need a license for that as it's officially an orchestra!!

The Campagnolo freehub on the road bike is loud enough for me and seems more effective than a bell too, I'll stick with that

U

User482

I have a bell on my road bike. The mtb has a hope rear hub which is loud enough on its own.

Arch

Married to Night Train
johnr said:
Good for giving horses the heads up too

No, that is one situation where a voice is preferable. A gentle but audible "Hello: cyclist coming by" from a little way back alerts the rider to your iminent overtake, and the horse to the fact that you are a human being. While the rider will understand the bell, the horse very likely won't. All the horsey people I've asked have said they'd prefer a vocal greeting.

And before anyone starts, yes, there are grumpy snooty horse folk, just the same as there are grumpy snooty cyclists, drivers, pedestrians... But when I'm out on a rare hack, I give cyclists a big grin and a wave. So if you've ever ridden past a string of horses in the Naburn area, and one of the riders has given you a big grin and a wave, that might have been me...

I don't get this "Wouldn't be seen dead with a bell" stuff. These days you can get tiny little bells, and yes, very likely in carbon effect coating. None of my bells rattles as I ride. Just because you have a bell, doesn't mean you can't also use your voice where necessary.

Saddle bum

Über Member
I phone up SWMBO on the mobile and tell her to have lunch ready for when I get home, switch phone to loudspeaker and point at offending ped. He then gets earache.

Top Bottom