Bells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all a quick question by law do you need have a bell?
The reason I ask is, I was cycling through a nature reserve and I always shout coming through.
People always move to let me through but one gentleman decided to say where's your bell, I just shout back I used my voice and carried on cycling

Hi all a quick question by law do you need have a bell?
The reason I ask is, I was cycling through a nature reserve and I always shout coming through.
People always move to let me through but one gentleman decided to say where's your bell, I just shout back I used my voice and carried on cycling
I have a 'ting' bell on each bike, otherwise voice as per your post.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't need one. You'll always get a moaning bugger. I had one a few months back. Rang my bell three times on approach. He said 'where is your bell ?'. I replied, 'I've just rung it three times, like this' then dinged the bell.

There is nothing wrong by using your voice. We were doing this on Sunday, and some old biddy said 'oh boys where is your bells'. We responded that we had a voice (after asking them nicely that we were coming past). Fortunately she laughed then.

Bells are useless with 'ipeds', espesially the 'over ear' headphones. I can ring my bell a few times, then have to shout 'excuse me, can I pass'.

New, complete, bikes are supposed to have one when they leave the shop.
Bikes you build or don't buy from a shop don't need one.
You can remove it any time you like.

Audible warnings to pedestrians always carry a hazzard alert.
Ped may react unpredictably, jumping sideways or even backwards into your path.
Ped may ignore your alert and carry on skipping around randomly or occupying the whole path.
Ped may intentionally mis hear your words and a challenge or insult.

I prefer a bell to words but you cant rely on either.

If a bell is required a point of sale and I know reflectors are required are also required at point of sale, why is a front reflector not required but a rear and both side of pedals are when cycling between sunset and sunrise?

Genuinely interested, is it something to do with the reflector dazzling oncoming cars from their own headlights?

For the hard of hearing and the ones who find it hard to understand of sharing a space with others.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/m-part-...MIyefP-b227AIVSrTtCh2bgg5sEAQYAiABEgL_4vD_BwE

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't use a bell and always slow down appropriately when approaching unaware pedestrians before asking politely if I may pass. You will still get the occasional and pointless angry 'where's your bell?' reply!

The thing that simultaneously makes me laugh while filling me with sadness are the people that frantically try to clutch their children/pets/possessions to themselves while urgently scrambling out of the way as if they are about to be callously mown down by the chariots of Satan! Makes me wonder what bad experiences they have had or what terrible image of cyclists they have been given? :sad:

Dan77

I bought a new Trek bike in May and it didn't come with a bell. I do have one though and really think they're a good thing to have. I've also bought another for the bike I have on order. It isn't a legal requirement though.

I too have rung the bell only to have some meathead shout "where's you're ****ing bell ****head?" after I slowed and passed about a metre to the side of him. Let's just say I enjoyed responding to him.

I've got the Knog Oi Luxe for both bikes and really like them. Just looks tidier to me. Some say they're not loud enough but they're certainly loud enough for me. I can ring it 50 metres away and people will generally still hear it. Use it daily on the towpath commute. Agree with the above comment too - people generally do seem more polite and accomodating for a bell rather than a voice. Nowt as strange as folk.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I bought a bell with a 'I <3 MY BIKE' sticker on it. I took the sticker off and there was a rather nice coat of arms engraved underneath it. They would sell a lot more of them without the sticker.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I kinda miss a bell when I don't have one, for the sort of mixed riding I do. Roads and shared paths/trails.

I have "ting" bells which are attached to a headset spacer but they're rather quiet.

The "bring-bring" bells are much more effective but not really great on 31mm drop bars.

I've got a little electronic horn thing which has various modes, including a horn which drivers can hear, and a comedy clown-horn sound for shared space which usually raises a smile rather than any aggression (and can also be heard over headphones). It's been useful here & there.

I'd far rather be patient & say "excuse me" politely, than ding a bell or sound a horn when approaching pedestrians from behind though.

View: https://youtu.be/us1jgqL7z0w

I kinda miss a bell when I don't have one, for the sort of mixed riding I do. Roads and shared paths/trails.

I have "ting" bells which are attached to a headset spacer but they're rather quiet.

The "bring-bring" bells are much more effective but not really great on 31mm drop bars.

I've got a little electronic horn thing which has various modes, including a horn which drivers can hear, and a comedy clown-horn sound for shared space which usually raises a smile rather than any aggression (and can also be heard over headphones). It's been useful here & there.

I'd far rather be patient & say "excuse me" politely, than ding a bell or sound a horn when approaching pedestrians from behind though.

View: https://youtu.be/us1jgqL7z0w

Even the words "Excuse Moi" can be interpteted in a Miss Piggy Get Otta My Way sense by so minded pedestrians.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmjjiKSklVA

Top Bottom