Bells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all a quick question by law do you need have a bell?
The reason I ask is, I was cycling through a nature reserve and I always shout coming through.
People always move to let me through but one gentleman decided to say where's your bell, I just shout back I used my voice and carried on cycling
No.

Shreds

Voice is best. Can even strike up pleasant conversation. Bells often ignored by peds.

Legislation on various bike regs designed by complete non cyclists over the years. Same civil servants who deal with Covid measures no doubt :laugh:

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
Voice is best. Can even strike up pleasant conversation. Bells often ignored by peds.

Legislation on various bike regs designed by complete non cyclists over the years. Same civil servants who deal with Covid measures no doubt :laugh:

Bells are useless in this day and age, drivers can't hear them in their insulated metal shell with the music belting out, pedestrians can't hear them due to having earphones on, it's far better to slow down and speak to pedestrians on towpaths and the such, on the road if a driver does something stupid I'm more concerned with braking then uselessly dinging a bell

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yup, I have two. They make a nice little ting.

I'd say 'both' are best. I usually 'ting' some distance away, giving the folk plenty of time. If they don't hear me I'll ting and say excuse me. If they've heard me, I always say thank you. It's met be 'your welcome' / 'no problem' / 'have a good ride'.

A bell is useful for canal bridges as you can't always see round the other side, so even taking it slowly, a bell helps warn others that there is a bike there.

To be honest, there is nothing better than being respectful for others.

Jody

Stubborn git
They look similar

Very. Almost like they just copied the design :rolleyes:

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

1602840728044.png

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not as good though according to the article but a big saving

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Given we've put narrower carbon bars on my son's cross bike to test 38cm rather than 42cm the bell he uses on his school commute wouldn't fit.

I'm 'nice Dad'. Honestly. ;) So I got him this bell for £3.29 from eBay to match the bars and bike. Lights up and everything:

s-l500.png

On-bike photo later. Just the thing for a 16 year-old boy :whistle:

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
You say " I always shout coming through"

How is that different from the motorist that beeps and pushes through?
I
Bells are best. Sneaking up on walkers and speaking to the is rude. Shouting doubly so.

Not legally required in GB but advised.
I have only had 2 people say where's your bell but 1 actually seen. me!!! All the other times I have said coming through or can I squeeze through!! I don't barge past, I slow right down (all though I'm not going fast I'm just out for a bimble taking in the views of the nature reserve)

Top Bottom