Belt Drive Single speeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

The elevated chainstay made one of it's first outings on the alpine stars range of MTB, they were not a design that persisted due to the wibbly-ness.

It pops up now and then but in all honestly it's a cosmetic feature.

zigzag

Veteran
if it was only a cosmetic feature, why would rider choose such a bike to win 24hr tt?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
my commuter has got elevated chainstays and derailleur gears. it's definitely stiffer around bb than all (4) steel bikes i previously had, but less stiff than my other alloy bike with usual chainstays. for commuting it's a perfect bike - clean, comfy, reliable, fast enough and very low maintenance. the photo below was taken on a 476km weekend tour.

IMGP0226.jpg

I still think that's a cool looking bike, I'll need to take some pics and post them up of my homage to it :blush:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
quote name='zigzag' timestamp='1309100718' post='1723061']
my commuter has got elevated chainstays and derailleur gears. it's definitely stiffer around bb than all (4) steel bikes i previously had, but less stiff than my other alloy bike with usual chainstays. for commuting it's a perfect bike - clean, comfy, reliable, fast enough and very low maintenance. the photo below was taken on a 476km weekend tour.
[/quote]

I too have a Decathlon B'Twin Triban.

i bought mine in france and although i found it add at first I didn't really have much option as my tourer had fractured a drop out and I considered the Triban to be a cost effective solution to the problem.

It has not disappointed me.

Jezston

Über Member
I have a question about belt drives.

Why does the frame need to be openable? Why not set the tension so the wheel isn't all the way down the dropout so it can be pushed further forwards thus loosening the chain and making it removable?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a question about belt drives.

Why does the frame need to be openable? Why not set the tension so the wheel isn't all the way down the dropout so it can be pushed further forwards thus loosening the chain and making it removable?

Then how does one get it in/out of the rear triangle? :smile: Tension isnt the problem. Getting it in and out is the issue, you break a chain to get it out, slicing a belt to get it out is okay, but how would you get the new one in?

Jezston

Über Member
*facepalm*

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
*facepalm*

Fear not Jezzer, your selfless display of ignorance (I know it was deliberate and purely for my benefit ;) ) has actually answered my question. I never gave this a thought and had no idea that the bike has a whopping great Hinge in the back (of cource it does...it has to?!)

...nope, not for me, too much opportunity for techno failure and general flexing.

I'll stick to a chain

...now then, that Charge plug looks lush!

Top Bottom