Belt Drive Single speeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm toying with the thought of expanding my stable of bikes and fancy a little variety....SS looks interesting and I quite like the look of a plug...but before I go about the various web sites, what’s the deal with belt driven offerings like the trek district?...it seems very different, quiet, low maintenance and smart...if not quite as "pure" as a proper ss.

thoughts anyone?

colinr

Belts are good, I know a guy that rides one and definitely doesn't treat it with kid gloves.

This one in fact: http://www.donhoubicycles.com/2010/12/30/

I guess the reason they're not more popular is the frame has to allow for replacing the belt, probably costs a bit more to manufacture.

I asked the guys on the Milk Bikes stand at Bespoked Bristol why they didn't just use an elevated RH chain stay on their belt equipped Low Maintenance Bike instead of the slotted RH seat stay.

'Because they look shoot' he said.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I asked the guys on the Milk Bikes stand at Bespoked Bristol why they didn't just use an elevated RH chain stay on their belt equipped Low Maintenance Bike instead of the slotted RH seat stay.

I have to say, I've been wondering that for some time.
I remember elevated chainstays from back in the day.
They do look shoot.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I liked that bike.... well the one with gears...

Anyway ... I've not understood what you are describing.... do you have a link to a photo of one so that I can see what you mean?

My next touring bike if I could afford it would have a belt and hub gears but alas at 2grand + it is but a dream

I liked that bike.... well the one with gears...

Anyway ... I've not understood what you are describing.... do you have a link to a photo of one so that I can see what you mean?

AlienSide.jpg

The Nishiki Alien

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hmmm. I'm broadly speaking with Mickle here - that looks quite good.
Except...the down tube. I'd have kept it straight myself.
I'd have kept the chainstays straight too, and maybe lost the bars tying them to the seatstays.
Mind you, I have a Kirk Revolution, so my judgement is obviously somewhat suspect.

Attachments

• Kirk-Revolution-200GS-1b.jpg
    Kirk-Revolution-200GS-1b.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 84

Zoiders

Elevated chainstays and fixed are not my cup of tea, flexy with gears, god knows how it will behave with fixed putting torque through it in two directions.

The elevated chainstay traded chainslap for a shoot ride.

zigzag

Veteran
Elevated chainstays and fixed are not my cup of tea, flexy with gears, god knows how it will behave with fixed putting torque through it in two directions.

The elevated chainstay traded chainslap for a shoot ride.

my commuter has got elevated chainstays and derailleur gears. it's definitely stiffer around bb than all (4) steel bikes i previously had, but less stiff than my other alloy bike with usual chainstays. for commuting it's a perfect bike - clean, comfy, reliable, fast enough and very low maintenance. the photo below was taken on a 476km weekend tour.

IMGP0226.jpg

Top Bottom