belt drive Ss or fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Are you going to leave the belt guard on?
Its funny you ask that, because I now have a genuine...but lovely problem.

Originally, I planned to strip off the belt guard, and fit solid tyres ...to make the bike a winter work horse.

However the bike is in concourse condition. Its not just that it's so well kept, its that its totally original, even the brake blocks look original and the tyres still have the knobbly "tell tales" on them. It feels like its come out the shop, gone around the block and come straight to me.

So now, because of its condition...because of its status...I don't want to change a thing, it even has the reflectors on the wheels and I want to keep them too, I'm becoming obsessive about it already and didn't want to even fit my Garmin on the stem because it looked fugly!!!

Which all leaves me with a problem..

.I need another bike, because this baby is far to good to treat as a winter hack, its a show bike, a weekend cruiser, for dropping to the coffee shop for bagels and a frapamochasoyachino.

I think I need a cheap Foffa or Charge, Fixed now.

Mrs Jeez isn't going to be happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Nice, I should've bought it!
Haha, it really is beautiful.

sorry

andyfraser

Über Member
Its funny you ask that, because I now have a genuine...but lovely problem.

Originally, I planned to strip off the belt guard, and fit solid tyres ...to make the bike a winter work horse.

However the bike is in concourse condition. Its not just that it's so well kept, its that its totally original, even the brake blocks look original and the tyres still have the knobbly "tell tales" on them. It feels like its come out the shop, gone around the block and come straight to me.

So now, because of its condition...because of its status...I don't want to change a thing, it even has the reflectors on the wheels and I want to keep them too, I'm becoming obsessive about it already and didn't want to even fit my Garmin on the stem because it looked fugly!!!

Which all leaves me with a problem..

.I need another bike, because this baby is far to good to treat as a winter hack, its a show bike, a weekend cruiser, for dropping to the coffee shop for bagels and a frapamochasoyachino.

I think I need a cheap Foffa or Charge, Fixed now.

Mrs Jeez isn't going to be happy.
That is a beautiful bike. I can see the dilemma. I would definitely keep it as is. It would be such a shame not to. I have no qualms about fitting my Garmin to any bike though.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So, in terms of a write up, some initial thoughts are.
Firstly, single speed bikes are really good fun, once you accept that you are riding a different bike and therefore will (unless very strong and used to them) need to accept that a different riding style is required, then the " difference" becomes really enjoyable.

I've not ridden any other SS bikes so can't compare... but it can say that yes, it is spookily quiet. Which, as I mentioned to a mate presents a new challange as I am now aware of every tiny tick or creak, no matter how faint. ( I heard two in 20 miles yesterday)...I am also aware of the constant sound of a middle aged, slightly overweight bloke puffing away all the time, I shall need to buy a tool for that.

The bike (in total) feels light, not carbon roadie light, but much lighter than my Ali road bike.

Brakes are also silent, without any significant rim noise, which I suspect is down to the fastidious nature of the previous owner...thankfully.

All of this means I am more aware of pedestrians than usual, as the stealthiness of it can be a surprise to some.

Frame is tight, with no flex no creak, no rattle. Although as it started to rain last night I could hear a rub upon really heavy acceleration...from the front wheel(like on every heavy push of the crank) . No idea what that is, will need to explore next time it rains.

Gearing is probably perfect for most as hills are climeable but on the flat, I forget what I am riding and find myself bobbing in the saddle at anything over 17mph. So this is no track bike...its a cruiser. Up to 15mph suits it perfectly and slower speeds are very enjoyable due to the smooth, silent drive system.

It's very nimble, and seems to encourage a little more animation in my riding style...which may be a bad thing as it tempts me to filter a little more than I might otherwise.

My biggest thought though is one of feeling impressed. The bike feels a bit special (to me at least) and seems deserving of extra respect...somehow. I also adore the choice that I now have, not just in which bike to ride but in what type of journey I want to have.

Loving it.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Me too, get back in the queue.

I assumed you had gone off in a strop and chosen to 'ignore' this thread :smile:

Ohh now that's nice. Only spooky by Trek on it but that could be sorted with a 4" grinder I ain't a lover of the Yanklish.
I'm liking Ss more and more and that's one of the nicest I have seen. Makes my new, unridden a Day one look dull
Enjoy it, ride it through winter, it's not made of sugar and a coating of ACF50 and it will still look like that in spring next year when you wash all the salt and crap off it.

Top Bottom