Benefits of upgrading wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveM77

How much difference does it actually make?
I'm averaging 17.2mph on a 35mile route with the wheels that came with my bike. Is there much justification to spending money on a “better” set or are the gains minimal?
Looking at more endurance wheels rather than racing Aeros

davidphilips

Veteran
Tbh not a lot, might add some bling, Best thing if you want to go faster on a bike is make sure your bike is set up %100 for you, then start a structured training plan.

vickster

Legendary Member
And get some good tyres (although you may deal with the odd puncture with the racy ones).
What do you have currently?

Morning,

Unless your wheels stop you fitting the tyres that you want then for the rides that you describe then I am firmly on the no side.

For example a 12mm internal rim is ideally limited to a 23mm tyre, I have 25mm tyres on a 12mm rim and they can get a bit squishy so a 28/32mm tyre is out of the question.

This is a GCN video that didn't tell me anything that I didn't know, but might be of interest, it is two lightweight wheels compared in a computer model.

Even being a bit extreme there was still a 1lb weight difference between the tested wheels.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QDnUkUaQfk

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I dunno some wheels are just nice

Drago

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, physics disagrees most vehemently with GCN, who are not exactly famed for their scientific method. "This isn't a very scientific test, but..." - no buts matey, it's simply not a scientific test, full stop.

For my own part, upgraded wheels have made me a touch quicker, a 1 to 1.5 mph improvement on average speed over a medium distance ride of 30-50 miles. Hardly huge, but to a competitive ride, which I am not, marginal gains here and there soon add up to big gains. Put the old ones back on and the numbers revert to their previous level, so there's no doubt that is attributable to the wheels.

Perhaps more importantly, but less empirically, is the improvement in feel. They feel flightier, the bike feels as if it accelerates faster, the steering feels sharper and quicker as it has less in the way of gyroscopic forces. Whether in reality that translates to anything meaningful is questionable, but in terms of feel, and therefore enjoyment, they were worth every penny. They simply feel delightful, and for me personally that made 400 sheets dropped on DT Swiss wheels worth every penny.

gbb

Legendary Member
17 mph average is quite respectable, equipment (wheels, frame, ratios can make a difference but necessarily in a way you can quantify.
As I moved up through the years from a budget Raleigh Chimera, heavy frame but a good solid dependable bike, through alloy framed Bianchis to a Carbon framed roadbike with mid range Fulcrum wheels, it was me that worked hard to up my averages but where the better bikes and equipment showed was comfort, quality of ride, better ratios in group sets and wheels that felt as though they spun up faster...but all that only got me from 15 mph averages to 18 at my peak....hard work is the real winner but good equipment will make it more pleasurable.

Morning,
Unfortunately, physics disagrees most vehemently with GCN, .....

Did you watch the video, the substantive work was done by Swiss Side wheels? ....

..... Who concluded that their wheels were the best solution to the problem. :-)

When you change wheels do you have the same sprocket size and quantity on both wheels, and the same size, make and model of tyres?

I am curious because one to one and half mph is a lot to gain from just the wheels.

I get about that much from swapping from a 26lb steel bike to an 18lb carbon one with gears slightly better suited to my current fitness level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DaveM77

I’m running Conti GP5000 25mm on Dt Swiss 1850 spline which came as standard.

davidphilips

Veteran
I’m running Conti GP5000 25mm on Dt Swiss 1850 spline which came as standard.

You have good wheels and very good tyres, Know club members that race and TT on wheels no where as good as yours.
Only reason i can now think of apart from looks would be the nice noise that deep wheels make, a pretty good "whoosh" sound, you might not go any faster but your bike might look and sound better?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you want more speed compared to your current wheelset, then you need aero deep section wheels. For me they offered about 1 to 1.5 mph extra over a flat (2000 ft over 50m) route. I have a two sets and there is not much difference between the ‘cheaper‘ ones and the expensive ones. 50mm versus 48mm rims.

si_c

Guru
I get about 1-2mph boost from my 50mm carbon rims compared to my 32mm alloy rims. Same cassette tyres and tubes on both. The carbon rims are more comfortable to ride with noticeably less road buzz than the alloy rims though so the extra comfort could account for some of the speed boost.

Morning,

Interesting. :-)

The numbers suggest that if there were such a thing as a typical road bike rider, riding on the hoods with an average shaped body and a bike of average efficiency.....

Then to go from 17mph to 19mph would require a power increase from 140 watts to 180 watts.

Given that the op already has good wheels and has ruled out aero wheels that is a huge reduction in equivalent drag to find.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I upgraded to carbon wheels and tubeless Conti 5000 GP March 2019. The improvement in speed, handling and climbing has been significant. The climbing is probably more to do with me but saving 1.5kg will have helped.

Your average is at the upper limit of what I can achieve on a good day. I can get home with 17 occasionally but it's usually 16-16.5. This is partly due to the last five miles always being stop start.

My carbon wheels are worth 1.5-2mph on the flat and 4-5 downhill. I suspect your return on the investment would be incrementally less but if you feel your capable of doing more and the bike is holding you back it will make a difference.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I went from the stock wheels on my Bianchi to self built, Campagnolo hub, DTSwiss rim, double butted 32sp 3x wheels. The 'performance' improvement I saw was in braking. Because I knew the rims were absolutely true and everything was properly tensioned and stress-relieved, I was able to set my brake pads much closer to the rim than I had been before. Apart from that, didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

Top Bottom