Benefits of upgrading wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've gone in the opposite direction

Have a set of Mavic Ksyrion Pros but had an issue with breaking spokes so taken them off and replaced with some inexpensive 32/36 spoke wheels. Significantly heavier

I can't notice any difference

As mentioned upthread, a 10% increase in speed requires a 21% increase in effective power. That's about 30w for a normal cyclist. I find it hard to believe that can be achieved via wheels other that some ultra fancy aero set up

Venod

Eh up
And its not just about going faster, if new wheels impove your speed for the same energy output of your old wheels, if you ride at the same speed as your old wheels you should expend less energy and feel better and go further.

Reactions: gbb

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am 69 and ride with the wheels that came with the bikes and happy with that. They just go round and round when I am moving, seldom have punctures and my average speed rarely go over 14 mph. I don't ride to compete so can't justify spending tons of money for very little gain. ^_^

Adam4868

Guru
Im not too sure I'd even notice 1 or 2 mph on a ride.Certainly not from my wheels.Ive got two bikes one with Kysium Exalith wheels and one with the stock wheels the bike came with.Cant say I've noticed a big difference in speed though.I reckon it's a bit of a placebo effect.Same as putting a go faster stripe down the side of a car.....unless your a pro !

winjim

Smash the cistern
I honestly think that for a regular rider on a regular road bike there is no need for anything other than 32h 3x wheels with box section rims and double butted spokes. Sure, there are differences in hub, spoke and rim design but they're mostly to do with durability, ease of servicing and building etc. I can't see that unless you are racing, and already posting fast, and more importantly consistent times, there is any advantage whatsoever in riding any other type of wheel.

Top Bottom