Benefits of wearing a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

The reason so many read these debates is precisely because of that slightly patronising tone.

The drone of self-importance is audible through the typeface and it's intoxicating.

It's not just from one contributor; many seem blithely unaware of how their input reads.

If this thread loses the self-importance, inflexibility, intellectual intransigence, pomposity and patronising tone of many of its most ardent contributors, we'll all have to go back to finding something useful to do.

Please, please don't change a thing.

I think you're all right and I encourage you do dig your heels in further (if that's possible) and fight to the last round in defence of whichever fortress of thought you favour.

Bicycle

The reason for wearing a helmet? ... huge flying bugs make a nice "Donk!" sound when they hit off it at speed :biggrin:

So you're saying that not wearing a helmet might have saved that bug's life?

What are you trying to do here, mess with my fragile mind?

What about if the bug had been wearing a helmet?

I don't feel very well.... :sad:

You struggle to remain civil, you often start your threads with 'oh dear' is patronising attempt to be sympathetic, now you have moved on to 3 'oh dears'. Its wore thin now, care to remain civil or shall we result to fruit and childish pictures again?

Your reply was yet more waffle, care to answer the question yes or no

I am sorry you found my answer unaceptable, but I am afraid that is the way life is.

Your accusation that the question was unanswered was again wrong, I was willingto give the benefit of the doubt that this was because you had missed it.

I now realise that it was simply not the answer you wanted.

Your reply was yet more waffle, care to answer the question yes or no

Why is it difficult to accept that the answer is not a simple yes or no?

If you really need the answer that simply then it must be NO

I do not put the medical profession on a pedestal and believe all they say without question (and I suspect the answer from any sensible person) so the simplistic answer you require is a "no"

The reasons are of course "waffle" I have reproduced my post below to save others the job of looking it up.

The fact that you feel that suggesting critical appraisal of a research document is unacceptable and "waffle" is really very, very worrying.

Medical Experts and whether they should be refuted depends on the expert, the research performed and how it was performed.

What was the bias, was the data collected properly and verified. Does it stand up to peer review. Are the results limited in their application or are they transferable to other similar or disparate groups.

Critical analysis of the evidence and form an informed conclusion of that particular instance is the answer.

What you do need to be is consistent though..... if you do suggest that a particular organisation or individual should be refuted or accepted then surely that should be given?

Take an example that was cited on another thread.

1. We should listen to the College of Emergency Medicine and listen to their advice when they promote helmets. This is because they are experts in A&E Medicine and know what they are talking about.

2. Yet when the "Thudguard" is promoted by the same organisation, it is no longer neccessary to listen to their advice and it is OK to ignore it. SUdenly the same body is no longer and expert and don't know what they are talking about.

Bicycle

Whereas the sound of a bug flying into your open mouth and being spat out or swallowed is anything but musical

Was on elder son's wheel a couple of days ago and he spat a fly into my face....

Luckily it was a dry fly! :biggrin:

Why is it difficult to accept that the answer is not a simple yes or no?

If you really need the answer that simply then it must be NO

I do not put the medical profession on a pedestal and believe all they say without question (and I suspect the answer from any sensible person) so the simplistic answer you require is a "no"

The reasons are of course "waffle" I have reproduced my post below to save others the job of looking it up.

The fact that you feel that suggesting critical appraisal of a research document is unacceptable and "waffle" is really very, very worrying.

Are we not to be treated to the intelligence and reasoning behind the statement that critical analysis of research is "waffle" then?

I am sure it will be informative.

david k

Hi
Are we not to be treated to the intelligence and reasoning behind the statement that critical analysis of research is "waffle" then?

I'm sorry your self claimed critical analysis of research is considered waffle by me, but as somebody once said, that's life

david k

Hi
Well done for not starting your post with a couple of 'oh dears' you may soon have the hang of this courtesy thing, oh wait a minute, youve ended with "I'm sure it will be informative" looks like I spoke to soon

Care to remain on topic or do you wish to continue with the tit for tat, as amusing as it is, it is not in relation to the thread topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom