Benefits of wearing a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
I'd just set of on my ride home yesterday evening when I come across a cyclist down here:

http://maps.google.c...1,0.011287&z=17

Male cyclist lying in the road, two women in attendance, one of whom is on the phone to the Ambulance Service. No cars (other than parked) in evidence and one of the women said she'd been cleaning her windows when she heard a crash and saw that said cyclist had fallen off into the road. Not sure why, though, so it's not immediately clear if another vehicle was involved in the incident.

The cyclist is obviously a bit dazed and is lying with his head on his backpack and generally keeping still. He's obviously in some pain but what is most apparent is a nasty straight gash to his head which has cut in to skull bone depth. Quite unpleasant for the poor chap although he's more concerned about the pain in his shoulder (on the same side as the gash). The location of the injury points to him having bashed his head (probably against the pavement edge judging by the size and shape of it) in a place where, had he been wearing a helmet, he would quite plainly have been protected.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that a paramedic arrived within five minutes and quickly decided that, as he had knocked himself out momentarily, an ambulance would be needed to take him off to A&E for further examination (Hammersmith is very close). I manage to establish that they would take his bicycle with him (I know that's one thing that would worry me in such a situation) and so left just as the ambulance was approaching (again arriving within five mins of the paramedic - most impressive seeing as this was Friday rush hour).

I'm sure he was well looked after at the Hospital (and may well decide that a helmet is a wise future investment) but I couldn't help but be reminded of the time when I first bought a helmet - after my first accident in London many years ago. Although I didn't injure my head on that occasion it really made me aware of how vulnerable one's bonce is in these situations and I've worn one religiously ever since. Indeed, it has saved me from injury to my head on a number of occasions so I'm certainly thankful that I made that decision relatively early in my London commuting experience.

Interestingly, while the man was down another, female, cyclist stopped to see if any further assistance was needed. She remarked on the fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet. One of the women present jokingly said to her "But you're not wearing a helmet" to which she replied that she didn't, even though she, herself, had fallen off in the past too.

So, fellow forumites, what is it that makes some of us decide to wear a helmet and why do others not. To me, it's a clear cut argument for self preservation but, as that's my decision alone, I would never advocate the compulsory wearing of head protection for cyclists. Just wondering what others think about this.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My reason for wearing a helmet to start with was basically because I had to to get onto site at work. I'm now used to it being there so most of the time it just goes on.

Other reason is that if I don't wear it my hair ends up looking like the professor out of back to the future.
smile.gif

sgw

So, fellow forumites, what is it that makes some of us decide to wear a helmet and why do others not.

I don't wear a helmet, I never have and I have never been inclined to.

I suspect that the primarily reason is that I started cycling well before the corporate marketing and obsessive H & S industries achieved their stranglehold on consumers.

al78

Guru
So, fellow forumites, what is it that makes some of us decide to wear a helmet and why do others not. To me, it's a clear cut argument for self preservation but, as that's my decision alone, I would never advocate the compulsory wearing of head protection for cyclists. Just wondering what others think about this.

I can give you some reasons why not.

1. Helmets can be cumbersome to lug around when doing shopping.
2. In the summer, wearing a helmet can make me more sweaty and uncomfortable than not wearing one.
3. There is no evidence on a population-level scale that helmets have a significant safety benefit.
4. Cycling is no more dangerous than many other everyday activities that people do where helmet wearing would be unheard of.
5. Promotion of helmets perpetuates the myth that cycling is dangerous which may put people off starting cycling. This is not a good idea in a country which suffers from severe traffic congestion and poor health.
6. If we really want to improve cyclist casualty rates, promoting cycle training and clamping down on dangerous driving would be far more effective.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As a child my mother forced me to wear a helmet, much to my displeasure as i thought it was uncool. Several years on and i started doing dirt jumps and speed trail riding where i continued to use a helmet and other gear for protection. To this day, i have continued to wear one when i am on my bike as it is now second nature for me to do so.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've been saved a nasty bump and headache because I was wearing a helmet (wore it before that because I thought it might help and it also keeps the hair out of my face!).

MrS was knocked off and the impact of his head on the ground broke the helmet. I'm very glad he was wearing one.

I wear a helmet most of the time on my road bike now. I'm not really sure why - probably because before I started seriously cycling and doing stupid speeds down hills I learnt to snowboard and wore a helmet for that. Trust me, you absolute must wear a helmet when learning to snowboard - you will catch an edge and wack your head several times.

Now I feel kind of naked when I don't wear my helmet cycling. However I'm not sure how useful it would be in many sorts of accidents, especially with traffic at speed. IMO ski/snowboard helmets seem much better designed and fit for purpose than cycle helmets - most these days seem to be overly concerned with lightness/aero/ventilation which might be why a lot of people here argue that they aren't useful or even safe.

Maybe it's also because ski/snowboard accidents tend to fall into more clearly defined groups (generally edge catch/collision with fixed object/collision with another piste user/tumble after a jump or whatever) whereas cycle accidents on the road are much more unpredictable and varied.

Anyway I wear a helmet but won't critique anyone who doesn't.

OP
OP
Tinuts

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam

Ha Ha! Your nuts may be numb but mine are Titanium.
biggrin.gif

nich

Never used to wear one in my younger years, but always do now.

It's simple to me. Go and bang your head against a metal object without a helmet. Then repeat with a helmet.

Which hurts more? :tongue:

I can give you some reasons why not.

1. Helmets can be cumbersome to lug around when doing shopping.
2. In the summer, wearing a helmet can make me more sweaty and uncomfortable than not wearing one.
3. There is no evidence on a population-level scale that helmets have a significant safety benefit.
4. Cycling is no more dangerous than many other everyday activities that people do where helmet wearing would be unheard of.
5. Promotion of helmets perpetuates the myth that cycling is dangerous which may put people off starting cycling. This is not a good idea in a country which suffers from severe traffic congestion and poor health.
6. If we really want to improve cyclist casualty rates, promoting cycle training and clamping down on dangerous driving would be far more effective.

+1 but

darth vadar

Über Member
Bikes have to be sold with a bell but not with a helmet.

Sorry, but I don't understand that logic.

I consider wearing a helmet exactly the same as wearing a seat belt in a car.

Because its the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom