Benefits of wearing a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

Definitive:

The Benefit of Wearing a Helmet, when you take it off you've got a handy place to store your gloves ;)

Now I've found the answer, thread closed and I can go back to :tired:
Gloves?????????? There's no evidence to support the belief that gloves can prevent or reduce injuries. I for one would not rely on gloves to save my hands in the event of a collision at 70mph, In fact cyclegloves.org has some interesting evidence to suggest that wearing gloves can actually increase the chances of snapping a nail.

nich

Now try this:

Don't bang your head against anything. Now put on a helmet and don't bang your head. Which is the most sensible?

I don't trust anyone else on the road not to cause me an accident though. I know you can try real hard to be aware of road conditions, but accidents happen, and I think every little helps.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't trust anyone else on the road not to cause me an accident though. I know you can try real hard to be aware of road conditions, but accidents happen, and I think every little helps.
Well, fair enough, but they might equally well cause me an accident as a pedestrian when I'm walking down the pavement or crossing the road and I don't wear a helmet then - I expect you don't either. Simply, the risk is too small (in my eyes) to be worth the inconvenience.

But ultimately it's your call what you do and my call what I do, and long may it remain so

darth vadar

Über Member
Helmets may not be a legal requirement but perhaps they should be.

The same goes for bike lights as well.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

Ooh we're onto compulsion now
ohmy.gif

[Goes to get popcorn ;)]

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Looking at it from another point of view, wearing a life jacket/bouyancy aid as "I’m a good swimmer" how many times have I heard that, and how many people drown in boating accidents each year. I for one would not dream of going kayaking without a bouyancy aid it is there as a "back up", just like my helmet, inner tube ect

Yeah but you're Darth Vadar - never seen you without a helmet?

We did once but then he died :eek:

dondare

Über Member
[QUOTE 1152822"]
You seriously don't believe all that Religous gooble dee gook? I'm looking forward to that day when some of the greatest minds at the CERN institute crack how the world started.

Then it's a trip down to the local church, telling the good Vicar that he is wrong, and taking back my donation of £1.24 from the church roof fund. I may or may not keep the book of Genesis by the toilet to wipe my arse with.
[/quote]

I can see what you're up to here, Lee, but it won't work. People are far more fervent about helmets than they are about God and stuff.

dondare

Über Member

You can bang your head anywhere. Why where a helmet only when you're on a bike?

dondare

Über Member

Lights are a legal requirement.

If helmets ever become a legal requirement then people will cycle less. More people die of heart attacks than ever get killed in road accidents, and cycling protects against heart attacks more than polystyrene protects against kerbstones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom