Benefits of wearing a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Never used to wear one in my younger years, but always do now.

It's simple to me. Go and bang your head against a metal object without a helmet. Then repeat with a helmet.

Which hurts more? :tongue:

Now try this:

Don't bang your head against anything. Now put on a helmet and don't bang your head. Which is the most sensible?

dondare

Über Member
Bikes have to be sold with a bell but not with a helmet.

Sorry, but I don't understand that logic.

I consider wearing a helmet exactly the same as wearing a seat belt in a car.

Because its the right thing to do.

Seatbelts are a legal requirement. Helmets are not.

snorri

Legendary Member
Go and bang your head against a metal object without a helmet. Then repeat with a helmet.

Which hurts more? :tongue:

Get a friend to throw a kerb-stone so that it flies over your bare head with just 1cm to spare. Then get him to throw it at the same height, but with you wearing a helmet. Which hurts more?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Bikes have to be sold with a bell but not with a helmet.

Sorry, but I don't understand that logic.

I consider wearing a helmet exactly the same as wearing a seat belt in a car.

Because its the right thing to do.

I have 3 bikes, how many helmets do i need? 3 is not the right answer.

sadjack

I sometimes wear a helmet. Most often I do not. I like the feeling of the wind in my hair and the freedom. I do wear a helmet when mountain biking and on one occasion was glad I did so when I hit my head on a rock after coming off landing after catching some big (ok little) air over a berm :smile: There is much more chance when biking off road to hurt yourself in all manner of ways. On the road I prefer not to wear one.

Same as I prefer not to wear one whilst in a car. I wonder if any studies have been done comparing the number of head injuries caused whilst cycling and whilst travelling in a car. I have no evidence but I would think there are a lot more caused to users of cars, but I never hear a call for people using cars to wear a helmet.

Cycling is great,its fun, its friendly to the environment and helps keep you fit. I hate the idea that its dangerous so we need armour to go out and ride (unless your fooling around off road that is).

Horses for courses. Wear one if it makes you feel better, don't if it don't :thumbsup:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I'd just set of on my ride home yesterday evening when I come across a cyclist down here:

http://maps.google.c...1,0.011287&z=17

Male cyclist lying in the road, two women in attendance, one of whom is on the phone to the Ambulance Service. No cars (other than parked) in evidence and one of the women said she'd been cleaning her windows when she heard a crash and saw that said cyclist had fallen off into the road. Not sure why, though, so it's not immediately clear if another vehicle was involved in the incident.

The cyclist is obviously a bit dazed and is lying with his head on his backpack and generally keeping still. He's obviously in some pain but what is most apparent is a nasty straight gash to his head which has cut in to skull bone depth. Quite unpleasant for the poor chap although he's more concerned about the pain in his shoulder (on the same side as the gash). The location of the injury points to him having bashed his head (probably against the pavement edge judging by the size and shape of it) in a place where, had he been wearing a helmet, he would quite plainly have been protected.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that a paramedic arrived within five minutes and quickly decided that, as he had knocked himself out momentarily, an ambulance would be needed to take him off to A&E for further examination (Hammersmith is very close). I manage to establish that they would take his bicycle with him (I know that's one thing that would worry me in such a situation) and so left just as the ambulance was approaching (again arriving within five mins of the paramedic - most impressive seeing as this was Friday rush hour).

I'm sure he was well looked after at the Hospital (and may well decide that a helmet is a wise future investment) but I couldn't help but be reminded of the time when I first bought a helmet - after my first accident in London many years ago. Although I didn't injure my head on that occasion it really made me aware of how vulnerable one's bonce is in these situations and I've worn one religiously ever since. Indeed, it has saved me from injury to my head on a number of occasions so I'm certainly thankful that I made that decision relatively early in my London commuting experience.

Interestingly, while the man was down another, female, cyclist stopped to see if any further assistance was needed. She remarked on the fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet. One of the women present jokingly said to her "But you're not wearing a helmet" to which she replied that she didn't, even though she, herself, had fallen off in the past too.

So, fellow forumites, what is it that makes some of us decide to wear a helmet and why do others not. To me, it's a clear cut argument for self preservation but, as that's my decision alone, I would never advocate the compulsory wearing of head protection for cyclists. Just wondering what others think about this.

Another mean less anecdote, if you actually take an evidence based approach you will find that increasing helmet use does not reduce the rate of head injury. You wear a helmet if you want to, but stop trying to tell the rest of us to do so...

Or do you have a person interest in sell helmets, it is after all a very profitable business. Let face it the cost of design, production and distribution of a cycle helmet is about £2.50 and they sell for £40 upwards. There is a lot of vested interest at work.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
groan

numbnuts

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1152818"]
Eh? From what I have read he made a blind man see, feed 5000 people with a couple of loaves of bread and some fish and even walked on water - but I don't think he saved any lives, I might be wrong of course.
[/quote]
I’m not talking about this life, what about eternal life :angel:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1152822"]
You seriously don't believe all that Religous gooble dee gook? I'm looking forward to that day when some of the greatest minds at the CERN institute crack how the world started.

Then it's a trip down to the local church, telling the good Vicar that he is wrong, and taking back my donation of £1.24 from the church roof fund. I may or may not keep the book of Genesis by the toilet to wipe my arse with.
[/quote]

best post ever?
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Tinuts

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
[QUOTE 1152822"]
You seriously don't believe all that Religous gooble dee gook? I'm looking forward to that day when some of the greatest minds at the CERN institute crack how the world started.

Then it's a trip down to the local church, telling the good Vicar that he is wrong, and taking back my donation of £1.24 from the church roof fund. I may or may not keep the book of Genesis by the toilet to wipe my arse with.
[/quote]
I'm rolling around on the floor..........
cheers.gif

numbnuts

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1152822"]

[/quote]
your post has real class, but don't worry I'II pray for you

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I can't be arsed to go into all this again, look at the thread in the beginners section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom