Bent chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

pjray82

3C91CFAB-9EE9-4E12-821F-854626959FE3.jpeg

Found this on Wiggle. Certainly looks the same. I can take mine off and check it for a bend. I’ve got engineered tables on machines in work so I can lay it on one of those. If not then I assume the bottom bracket might be bent. This chainring isn’t expensive so I guess it’s worth eliminating that first.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No problem straightening alloy ones either. Just go slowly and not too far. You don't want to have to bend it in the opposite direction.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here are the possibilities

1 Loose chainring bolts so there'd be some polay between the chainring and the cranks. Easy fix - just do 'em up.

2 Bent chainring. These can, I understand, be straightened bu using an adjustable spanner as a lever and a bit of brute force. I've never done this.

3 Loose cranks on the axle - may be fixable by doing them up, but could be irreparable damage. Designs vary

4 Loose bearings in the bottom bracket would allow some play. Some are adjustable, others have to be replaced

5 Bent axle. I had a square taper bottom bracket and astonishingly the solid steel 1/2" diameter axle had bent. This caused exactly the problem you mention

There may be other possibilities, and not all the above are likely or possible for all designs

OP
OP
P

pjray82

This is all excellent and very helpful. Thank you very much. Process of elimination should solve it. I really can’t make out if the other two cogs have movement too. It’s so subtle.
Do you guys agree with the replacement part I have found? I’ve never done this before so don’t know the details. I’m not aware they have a measurement between the bolts. There is also a bigger measurement though and I’m not sure what that is for. Also, as you can see in the picture, it says 9speed and 11 speed? Why is that?
Thanks again for your help.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have a couple of bikes with triples and each of them has rings with a lateral movement of more than the 1mm or so that you refer to.

This can cause some intermittent rubbing, but with careful adjustment all sensible gears work without any contact between chain and derailler.

I have always assumed that this is an artefact of using fairly low cost equipment, and not worried about it.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
75mm between centres of the bolts on the chain-set. 5 bolts. 9 sprockets on the back set.

Found this on Wiggle. Certainly looks the same. I can take mine off and check it for a bend. I’ve got engineered tables on machines in work so I can lay it on one of those. If not then I assume the bottom bracket might be bent. This chainring isn’t expensive so I guess it’s worth eliminating that first.
Rings are 130mm BCD (actual distance - 76.4mm). 9 speed.
You should expect excellent no wobble chainrings ETA: - like mine and not like @All uphill's entirely valid experience.
Good plan. Remove the large and middle chainrings. Check whether true and if not bend to closer to true using the jaws of a large adjustable spanner. Refit and see if sorted. If 'yes' remove chainring bolts, add threadlock to all 5 and refit.
If not good enough, replace. Note that in your image "Product Data 11 speed" is rubbish.
Personally (and my main bike has a 9 speed drivetrain) I'd buy this £10 one: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-fc5703-10-speed-triple-chanrings/
In fact I've just gone to the 'bike room' and I have exactly this one (FC-5703L: 50t, 10sp, triple, 5 bolt, 130mm BCD) waiting to replace my 50,000+km one (of course the use of the large ring will only be a portion of that distance and very little at the high tension/force level - the middle and inner have been replaced a year ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pjray82

Hmm... I had also thought this might be the case. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t like it when I bought it though. It wasn’t super easy expensive but it also certainly wasn’t the cheapest.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What might be the case?
Triple FD adjustment requires persistence and patience.

OP
OP
P

pjray82

Sorry someone else posted before I’d finished. I was saying I had considered the fact that the bike was not top of the range and I should expect some imperfections and wear from the ‘not top of the range’ components.
Also, I don’t know where the word ‘easy’ came from in my post. Fat fingers and thumbs!

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the bike is newish, then you need to go back to the supplier, unless you have bashed it. But you judge whether it'd be worth a £10 bother.

Top Bottom