Bent dropout/hanger on steel frame fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigyouth

Regular
Hi there,

Couple days ago my chain flew off the rear cassette, the deraileur mech sprung into the spokes and grinded my bike to a halt.

I have since re-assembled the deraileurs and got it semi-functional but needless to say the gears are not changing at all smoothly.

On inspection it seems the right rear hanger has been fairly badly bent. I took it to a shop and they have told me they don't reckon they could bend it back safely.

So, it's been suggested that I take it to a frame-builder and see what they can do. I imagine they'd brase on a completely new dropout and not for cheap.

I was wondering if I have any other options. I won't be able to afford a framebuilder's services I don't beleive (if it's anything over 80 quid).

Attached are some pics

Does it look un-salvageable?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 453
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 465
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 420
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 384
A LBS used one of these on my Ti frame a while back http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-hanger-alignment it may help.

Your bike has a pair of 'pressed plate' dropouts which are relatively soft. As opposed to forged dropouts which are much more resistant to bending.

The mechanic doesn't want to attempt a fix because they think there's a high chance that the dropout will fail in the straightening. Or they are not very experienced in this sort of repair.

For an old school mechanic who grew up with bent steel hangers thus fix is an absolute doddle. The dropout is very unlikely to fail during the process. You have to bend this type of steel back and forth many times before it fails (see Uri Geller) and if it does fail its not the end of the world - simply tidy up the stub of the hanger with a hacksaw and file and use a type of rear mech which clamps on to the face of the dropout.

I decent mechanic could do all this in the time it takes to swap a couple of inner tubes. It really is that easy to do.

Find a shop which has a mechanic with grey hair..

OP
OP
B

Bigyouth

Regular
Aha sage advice is where its at. I've been recommended seabass cycles in peckham.

But might it be possible to do this on my own with a large adjustable spanner?

It's not too noticeable from the pics but the dropout itself is bent a bit downwards so if I can picture it, the area for the wheel shaft is larger than it should be.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You can do it with a large spanner - but try to get it right with as few adjustments as possible to avoid weakening the hanger. The ideal is to use a hanger alignment tool - but they're not cheap. An often suggested alternative is to use a rear wheel and screw the axle into the gear hanger and then line up the rear wheel so it looks to be parallel with the rear wheel on the bicycle. (The hanger needs to be straight on both horizontal and vertical planes)
With that in mind, my advice would be as Mickle suggested find an older, more experienced cycle mechanic.
IF worst comes to worst and the hanger snaps it is still not the end of the world and you can buy one of these retro thingies that were common on bicycles when I were a lad (think Hovis music)
Screenshot_20170414-231419.png

Aha sage advice is where its at. I've been recommended seabass cycles in peckham.

But might it be possible to do this on my own with a large adjustable spanner?

It's not too noticeable from the pics but the dropout itself is bent a bit downwards so if I can picture it, the area for the wheel shaft is larger than it should be.
Adjustable spanners can tend to move and slip and could cause an injury. Do you or can you get hold of a pair of Vise Grips which won't move if clamped on, and then as has been suggested slowly and gently ease the hanger back into shape, they usually tend to be a mirror image of the opposite side.

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely easy to do and a simple alignment tool can be made cheaply from a spare axle (solid, track nut type).

Adjust the cone/locknuts so they are positioned for the correct spacing of the dropouts and then cut the axle in half with a hacksaw. Slide one part fully back into the drop out and tighten the nut. Make sure it didn't move when tightening. Do the same with the other half on the opposite side and the cut ends of the axle should meet in the middle. If they don't, then the dropouts aren't parallel and need further adjustment.

OP
OP
B

Bigyouth

Regular
I think it would be wise, as suggested, to put my bike in the hands of an experienced mechanic. I am happy to hear that it is not impossible to bend back and the nifty tricks for aligning will probably come in handy. However, I do need it back up and running asap and I don't quite trust myself yet to do the job. Does anyone know of any recommended mechanics in London? (preferably south east!)

IF worst comes to worst and the hanger snaps it is still not the end of the world and you can buy one of these retro thingies that were common on bicycles when I were a lad (think Hovis music) View attachment 347499

I am quite curious about the 'retro thingies', how and where exactly does that attach to my bike? (I'm guessing it would have to be modified to fit?).

thanks for all the advice guys, it has been incredibly helpful!

On a side-note, how bad might it be if I were to continue cycling on the bike as it is. I have avoided doing so thus far, but probably for the sake of getting to the mechanic I may need to.

tyred

Legendary Member
The bike should probably be okay to ride but just be wary of shifting the mech into the spokes. Don't use the lowest gear if you think this might happen.

I'd be wary of climbing out of the saddle too just in case it slips gears but I'd imagine on that frame you have friction shifters so you can trim the gear anyway.

Top Bottom