Bertie - Champ or cheat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondered what the general view of the man is now he's running (riding even) away with the giro? My view is that he failed a drugs test, yes he had an excuse, but don't they all, and a fails a fail, so he should not have even been given the opportunity to start the race.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No offence OG&S but until something new comes up about his CAS hearing I think I'll resist.

If you want to know what we all think or thought I can refer you to this thread!:biggrin:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Was it a valid drugs test though?

The test for EPO that was used in one of the Olympics showed several athletes to be positive.

Then when independently tested it showed that there was a small problem............... If you exercised (apparently some athletes do that!) then the proteins in the urine give a false positive.

Noodley

Was it a valid drugs test though?

The test for EPO that was used in one of the Olympics showed several athletes to be positive.

Then when independently tested it showed that there was a small problem............... If you exercised (apparently some athletes do that!) then the proteins in the urine give a false positive.

Not sure what a test for EPO at the Olympics has got to do with it...

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Dirty....Bertie.....
biggrin.gif

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Not sure what a test for EPO at the Olympics has got to do with it...

Assuming that it was a "standard test" for EPO - then it demonstrates the repeatability (or not) of the test

You have a point though - legal technicality / loophole potential based on protocol etc

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
The test for clenbuterol was certified and he was over the limit, it's the test for plasticizers that isn't certified.

Not so..

He tested positive for Clenbutarol - but the level was 40 times lower than the minimum required performance level for WADA accredited laboratories

I do think you are correct about the plasticizer test though

montage

God Almighty
I'm begining to think an awful lot of injustice has been thrown bertie's way

scook94

Veteran
Not so..

He tested positive for Clenbutarol - but the level was 40 times lower than the minimum required performance level for WADA accredited laboratories

I do think you are correct about the plasticizer test though

The acceptable level for Clenbuterol is ZERO. Any level above that is a fail.

yello

That is true.

The point philipbh is making, and justifiably so imho, is that the lab that detected it is able to detect far far smaller quantities than any other approved lab. So? you ask. Still more than zero. That's guilty as charged m'lord. And, of course, you're right. Well, if that sample had gone to any other approved lab it would have come back negative. Equally, presumably, other samples from other riders went to other labs. Is that fair? Is that 'level playing field'?

The UCI (or WADA, whoever) sets standards for labs. Personally, I feel those standards should be the defacto standards for riders too. I think it has to be that way to avoid different detection systems and luck of the draw testing.

I'm not saying that Contador is innocent, because I don't think he is, but you can't have a fair testing system if the results depend on who does the testing. I don't think that's just.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist

Can't argue with that - accept to say that any level above zero has then to be adequately explained away by the athlete to the governing bodies (UCI / WADA etc)

It is not grounds for immediate suspension without mitigation.

Various sources suggest that Contador's legal team have submitted somewhere between 90 to 130 pages of "evidence" to back their claim of innocent ingestion.

scook94

Veteran
Yello, it's simply progress.

Labs are always going to be able to test for things and levels they weren't able to previously. Because some of the UCI approved Labs are lagging behind with current technology is no excuse.

I believe Bertie has and probably still dopes, likewise LA and a significant number of past & present others. It's got to a point where I question every great performance i.e Chris Horner winning the ToC. I've decided to just not worry about it and enjoy the racing anyway.

Top Bottom