Bertie - Champ or cheat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well bugger me. They are now saying that Dirty Bertie's hearing at CAS may not be heard until after the TdF.

This is really unsatisfactory and messy.

yello

Labs are always going to be able to test for things and levels they weren't able to previously. Because some of the UCI approved Labs are lagging behind with current technology is no excuse.

That's not my point. The point is the same criteria being applied across the board. I simply don't think you can have different levels applied. If UCI wants only the most technologically advanced techniques applied then it should only use those labs capable of providing that. I'd have no problem with that. The rules are then being applied equally.

They are now saying that Dirty Bertie's hearing at CAS may not be heard until after the TdF. This is really unsatisfactory and messy.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure Contador would have preferred it dealt with before too.

This should have been sorted before the Giro never mind the TDF.

Lets just say he wins the TDF as well (looks like he has already claimed the giro) and is then banned. The two cyclists who finished second will have been robbed of the chance to stand on the top spot on the podium. A chance they may never get again.
The UCi etc really needs to get a grip on this.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

Lets just say he wins the TDF as well (looks like he has already claimed the giro) and is then banned. The two cyclists who finished second will have been robbed of the chance to stand on the top spot on the podium. A chance they may never get again.
quite

just don't hold your breath

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist

Alternative scenario:

AC wins the Giro and the Tour - CAS hearing goes ahead

CAS use AC's tests from 2011 to argue that he can win without "enhancements", so he had & has no motive to cheat and it would be wrong (for the good of the sport etc) to ban him for some small trangression ie. super low level of clenbutarol and the plasticiser - smallish fine by way of punishment

(Assumes he has no irregular test results this year)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Alternative scenario:

CAS use AC's tests from 2011 to argue that he can win without "enhancements", so he had & has no motive to cheat and it would be wrong (for the good of the sport etc) to ban him for some small trangression ie. super low level of clenbutarol and the plasticiser - smallish fine by way of punishment

and how, exactly, would the defence explain how the plasticiser got there innocently?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alternative scenario:

Who's to say he's not microdosing now and will be at the TdF? Why do you assume he wouldn't dope now since he knows that he wasn't found positive last year for anything bar the the clenb cock-up.

and how, exactly, would the defence explain how the plasticiser got there innocently?

They don't have to as it's not an acrredited test.

It wasn't then, it is now. Accredited or not, for me that's the proof, that it can't be used is just part of the giant board game of cycling, meanwhile those in the real world know that Bertie's dirty, has no scruples and has almost certainly smartened up his doping regime whilst knowing a 103 pages of evidence is going to make CAS work and struggle to further convict him.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Who's to say he's not microdosing now and will be at the TdF? Why do you assume he wouldn't dope now since he knows that he wasn't found positive last year for anything bar the the clenb cock-up.

You've got me there :surrender:

I was just imagining the possibility of him being let off with a warning / escape sanctions

Alternative Scenario II

UCI / WADA / CAS are setting him up for a big fall - he wins the Volta / Giro / Tour in 2011

CAS rule that all his wins between the positive test and the ruling are struck from the record, back date the ban to the test and make him wait another 12 months before competing again

(Perhaps)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It wasn't then, it is now. Accredited or not, for me that's the proof, that it can't be used is just part of the giant board game of cycling, meanwhile those in the real world know that Bertie's dirty, has no scruples and has almost certainly smartened up his doping regime whilst knowing a 103 pages of evidence is going to make CAS work and struggle to further convict him.

Here’s UCI rule 2.2.010 bis:
The organiser may refuse permission to participate in – or exclude from – an event, a team or one of its members whose presence might be prejudicial to the image or reputation of the organiser or of the event. If the UCI and/or the team and/or one of its members does not agree with the decision taken in this way by the organizer, the dispute shall be placed before the Court of Arbitration for Sport which must hand down a ruling within an appropriate period. However, in the case of the Tour de France, the dispute shall be placed before the Chambre Arbitrale du Sport.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Is it accredited now? I hadn't heard that.

edit:

This thread (posts 46 and 47) shed some light
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=13162&page=5

It seems it's not acrredited but it's possible that WADA may use it as corroborative. Variation in other ways of showing plasicizers presence may prevent it being a stand alone test.

Is it accredited now? I hadn't heard that.

edit:

This thread (posts 46 and 47) shed some light
http://forum.cycling...?t=13162&page=5

It seems it's not acrredited but it's possible that WADA may use it as corroborative. Variation in other ways of showing plasicizers presence may prevent it being a stand alone test.

My mistake, you are correct. I misread an an article. Anyway, news on the grapevine says they've all switched to Mylar bags which leave no trace.

We only need one court for Bertie

aa_kangaroo_court.jpg

montage

God Almighty
Before the Giro, I was all for calling Bertie a cheat, but his actions and the way he is riding it just aren't that of a guilty man. If you were under such scrutiny and you were cheating, surely you would make it look as if you were trying harder rather than dominate every mountain stage....and to pass up a stage win like that, just doesn't seem like the sort of thing a power hungry cheat would do. Not saying I like him just yet, just that he seems to be very much innocent before proven guilty.

Top Bottom