Best 4 season sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notmyrealnamebutclose

Best sleep on it ...........

swidt?

I'm looking for a 4 season sleeping bag.

Weight less than 1kg

Price less than £100.

https://backpacker-life.com/product...-wBimzEGXfvF3E-0eEMk2EEBdujguEp8aAn-AEALw_wcB

Any thought on this one?

Or this one ..

https://wildbounds.com/products/cos...cl8Q0oAHnE7f0tV3hbpd3RnYHceKIvQwaAlp5EALw_wcB

Or any others?

It has been a while since I looked but there were some highly rated bags from China through AliExpress and the like. Best advice is to look on the ultralight hiking fora to see what is current since brand names can come and go quickly.

The fact is that a four season bag for less than £100 is a big ask and may have ethical considerations.

FWIW I use a Cumulus down bag (Polish), not cheap, but customised and they offer repair and rejuvenation if necessary. I can't fault mine.

I've found the key with cold weather camping is a decent, insulated mat (can be improved with a survival blanket) and wool night gear - especially on the head.

I've often wondered about the practicality of using two bags - one to supplement a "summer" bag since a 3/4 season is too warm in the summer.

Petrichorwheels

I'm looking for a 4 season sleeping bag.

Weight less than 1kg

Price less than £100.

https://backpacker-life.com/product...-wBimzEGXfvF3E-0eEMk2EEBdujguEp8aAn-AEALw_wcB

Any thought on this one?

Or this one ..

https://wildbounds.com/products/cos...cl8Q0oAHnE7f0tV3hbpd3RnYHceKIvQwaAlp5EALw_wcB

Or any others?

My first thoughts were. Not possible for less than £100 at that weight.
Neither of your suggested bags are four season. First one says "comfort' 0 to 10 degrees, second bills itself as three season.

tom73

Guru
Can i ask what temp it will go down to?

Currently the cheapest 4 season is -8 then they work up the range max being -27.

As for OP as other have said £100 price point is not easy ask for a good 4 season and at that weight too.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The fact is that a four season bag for less than £100 is a big ask and may have ethical considerations

Ethical considerations are a big concern with down, neither of the bags linked mention anything about traceability or accountability of the down used within. Go to any of the big name companies and they all subscribe to some kind of scheme whereby you can trace the origins of your down or they offer reassurance that the down hasn't been live plucked.

As well as the ethical concerns, I would be concerned about the quality and construction of the bags, do the bags have baffles to stop the down migrating around the bag? are the baffles overlaid to stop cold spots forming? do they have neck baffles? are the drawcords easy to operate and find when you're snuggled down inside the bag? What about long term durability? packability also is meant to be a big advantage of down, though neither of the linked bags seem to pack that small.

For budget down bags my first port of call would always be Alpkit, they have a good range of bags from two season to four season and all of their down is certified to come from ethical sources. They also have excellent after sales support. Whilst they don't have bags for 100 pounds, they prices are still pretty reasonable for the standard of bag you are gettting.

I've often wondered about the practicality of using two bags - one to supplement a "summer" bag since a 3/4 season is too warm in the summer.

Rather than using a second bag, I use a down jacket to supplement my warmer sleeping bag, so I can keep warm in camp and then at night if the temperatures are low, I'll wear it in my sleeping bag.

tom73

Guru
Ethical considerations are a big concern with down, neither of the bags linked mention anything about traceability or accountability of the down used within. Go to any of the big name companies and they all subscribe to some kind of scheme whereby you can trace the origins of your down or they offer reassurance that the down hasn't been live plucked.

As well as the ethical concerns, I would be concerned about the quality and construction of the bags, do the bags have baffles to stop the down migrating around the bag? are the baffles overlaid to stop cold spots forming? do they have neck baffles? are the drawcords easy to operate and find when you're snuggled down inside the bag? What about long term durability? packability also is meant to be a big advantage of down, though neither of the linked bags seem to pack that small.

For budget down bags my first port of call would always be Alpkit, they have a good range of bags from two season to four season and all of their down is certified to come from ethical sources. They also have excellent after sales support. Whilst they don't have bags for 100 pounds, they prices are still pretty reasonable for the standard of bag you are gettting.

Rather than using a second bag, I use a down jacket to supplement my warmer sleeping bag, so I can keep warm in camp and then at night if the temperatures are low, I'll wear it in my sleeping bag.

Your bang on about Alpkit good around ethical company at price points average guy on the street can use is not easy. Add in the repair service and recycling your old kit. It makes a good buy.

We too supplement our bags with down but use one of alpkit down blankets. Which can be turned into a light weight sleeping bag with our main bag inside. Found it work well and very easy to adjust the temp.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I wasn't thinking of four seasons from a technical perspective. Rather one I can use in warmer spells in winter?

Snugpak seem good too. Oex are they an in house brand of someone?

Sallar55

Veteran
Bought this firefly bag for Scottish bike packing.not cheap but packs down well , a good night's sleep is a must if out in the hills or bothys. sets you up for the next day.

Screenshot_20221201-095152.png

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

I wasn't thinking of four seasons from a technical perspective. Rather one I can use in warmer spells in winter?

Snugpak seem good too. Oex are they an in house brand of someone?

Not sure if snugpak do down. Think their bags these days are all synthetic. You won't get one of their winter bags weighing in at under 1kg. Some of their winter bags, though maybe good, are real monsters. I saw one likened to a bouncing bomb.

Top Bottom