Best all purpose shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Al1218

Hi, just joined up. Was wondering if there was opinion about best kind of shoes, just bought first road bike- Boardman Road Sport- for a long time. Has standard pedals and toe clip/strap which I want to use for a while. Is there a shoe that is easy to use to slip in and out ie doesn’t have too contoured a sole?

Any advice welcome

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I really really like my Shimano MT71 shoes. They are comfortable enough to wear as a normal shoe. Look almost like a normal shoe so you don't have to have that 'special' look. They are Gortex lined so totally waterproof even at the cleat mounts which is often just an open hole. They are good when used with Shimano SPD pedals for sensible, double sided clipless pedals on any bike.

Last edited:
Personally speaking I hate cleats, so have always used toe clips, furthermore I am a tight (very tight) so and so and as such hate spending money on something special when I already have something else which will do a job just as well and that thought process couldn't be better illustrated when it comes to the shoes I wear when out on my bike.
My normal fine weather cycling shoes are a pair of full leather black court/derby shoes that I wore for years when working in my suited city past, they are perfect, quite narrow and with a smooth leather sole that slips easily into pedals toe clips and over the many 30+ years I have owned them I have always fed the leather the result of which is they are now quite waterproof. I have just had a quick look at the Clarks website and these shoes would tick all of my cycling summer shoe boxes https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Stanway-Lace/p/26127243 and at only £25 they have to be a bargain

For my winter cycling I have pair of Gortex lined Clarks shoes that have the all important smooth sole for slipping into the toe clips, I also have an old pair of Gortex lined cloth walking shoes that are basically knackered as their soles have lost all their ground gripping grip, so they are perfect for slipping in and out of the toe clips.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst I have made the switch to clip ins, I do rather agree with the rest of @buzzy-beans ' post above. When riding with toe clips, I used to wear whatever shoes I found comfortable, usually a stout pair of brogues. The sole was quite stiff, and they were fine for walking about in.

If you are going down the "special shoes" route, may as well have clips ins and have done

simongt

Guru
And of course, this new thread could very well descend into the debate about cycling shoes being waterproof - except for the big unavoidable 'ole in the top - ! :rofl:

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP didn't actually ask for waterproof so it could be irrelevant if s/he plans to be a fair weather cyclist

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Specialized Sonoma would have been suitable but I don’t think they make them anymore, you may find new old stock somewhere. They have a relatively stiff sole so good for longer rides without foot ache. The sole is pretty smooth rubber so easy enough to slip in and out of toe clips and they are also SPD compatible should you decide to go down that route at a later date. The SPD fixings are covered with a glued on rubber plate which can be pulled of with the help of a flat head screwdriver if required.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, not made anymore as I'd love a new pair. I bought them to use on flat pedals, quickly changed them to clipless as I would constantly get foot cramp when pushing off! Slippery too, probably be better with straps

Top Bottom