Best all round performance road tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

I've ridden a few miles over the years, myself. Still can't say I've noticed anything significant about latex tubes.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
As I have posted previously on your other tyre thread (not tread) Jack...

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, a steal at £42 pair from Merlin last time i bought them. Supple light & grippy, like all light tyres though, carry a spare tube, best for sportive or race day if you race.

Don't bother with the ZLX or the Pro4 Ltd though, way too thin & you don't have a support car 200 yards behind like the Pro's do.

Specialized S-Works Turbo's 24mm get great reviews, not tried mine yet as i have loads of life left in the Ultremo's.

Can i ask why latex tubes ? Expensive & very, very thin, surely more puncture prone ?

I run Conti Race Light tubes in my day to day wheels & Conti Supersonic in my light wheels for nice days/sportives.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Every little helps, if I can have the fastest I'll have it, might make little difference but it's nice to know I'm riding the fastest I can afford
The problem with fastest/lightest though Jack (especially with tyres & tubes) is that, to steal some poetic licence...

Any old blurb "this tyre/tube weighs only 160g/50g & saves 3 seconds per km over our nearest rivals & 5 watts per pedal stroke/metric century"

My blurb says "spend 20 minutes per ride fixing punctures & missing the coffee stop".

Obviously not all lightweight or race tyres are equal (or i wouldn't own any) & i have no major issues with mine.

More of a friendly "buyer beware" when considering the lightest of the light - fastest of the fast.

Edit.

I ride much more infrequently than many here too.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Just performed a direct comparison, pro4's 25 c on mavic wheels with conti butyl tubed and then Vitoria latex and it's night and day it's like riding on air with the latex compared to the butyl. Very happy well worth the £7

Top Bottom