best all year round chain lubricant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Finish Line Ceramic worked for me for a while but didn't seem to like rides towards the coast where it started getting very gritty, so I switched away. Currently using Weldtite TF2 (bottled).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Finish line cross country here. Picked up 4 little bottles for £4 in a Planet X or PBK sale. It's a wet lube and you only need a drop. Wipes off and isn't sticky. Survives wet rides well.

I use the ceramic stuff on the weekend bikes. The cross country on the commuters.

contadino

Veteran
I use Green Oil. Its good, but I'm going to give their dry one a shot this summer because it gets quite dusty around here.

BTW, I use olive oil on my chainsaw and it works well so long as the oil doesn't get cold. When cold it solidifies and causes problems with the oil pump.

compo

Veteran
I am an oil user. However, I lubed my chain the other day and headed out. There was a lot of water laying in the road and some rain. So much water has emulsified the oil and my drive train is now covered in a brown sludge. I am not even going to bother cleaning the chain, I will clean the cassette and chainwheels then fit a new chain. I will then re-read this thread and look for a wet weather lube.

Top Bottom