Best Andorid App to replace a bike computer and GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

i use the app called "ride with gps" i find it works really well it tracks my speed and rout and loads of other stuff then i can view the info at any time on my laptop or phone.
also the phone i have that i use on my bike is a Hummer H5 its fully waterproof, shock proof and dust proof iv dropped it while doing 20mph down the road and its not even got a scratch iv also tested it in the bath its quite funny watching a film under water lol. and the best bit is it only costs £75 on ebay oh and the battery life is very good iv had it running with the screen on for a couple of hours using the gps and it was still over half the battery left

martint235

Dog on a bike
Why not just get a Garmin Etrex? It'll navigate for you and act as a cycle computer. Plus the batteries can be changed so you can be out on your bike for longer.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Why not just get a Garmin Etrex? It'll navigate for you and act as a cycle computer. Plus the batteries can be changed so you can be out on your bike for longer.
Because it's twice the price of a rugged Android phone for the version that lets you upload your own maps!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strava's never clicked for me, I guess because I don't find the competitive aspect of it particularly engaging - it does have some useful features missing from other apps though (privacy zones around start points/destinations, for example).

Remind me to bore you to death with Strava next time I see you !!:wacko:

yello

It's horses for courses innit? Or is it tracks? I can never remember the difference.

When I tried a few out, as I recall it was Endomondo I preferred for tracking. There's a post somewhere on here of my reasons.

But it was an 'out of interest' experiment for me anyway because I have a Garmin.

For navigation, I do actually prefer paper maps and I usually carry one with me on my longer rides in the event that I get bored of following my nose. That said, I do have Sygic on my phone should I really need electronic assistance. Never used it (on the bike) though.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
When using apps on a phone it costs money does it, well it did when I used “navfree”, I only used I for a few minutes and got charged £3

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
When using apps on a phone it costs money does it, well it did when I used “navfree”, I only used I for a few minutes and got charged £3
It does if you have a live data connection, or it can do. I was thinking about getting a phone just for this though, with no SIM card or contract - as my current phone can't do it.

albion

Guru
I'd be surprised if it goes anything like that long with the GPS switched on - but I've not used Endomondo. Maybe if you switch it to Aeroplane Mode so it's not constantly hunting for a phone signal it might do better.
You got a dedicated GPS or even iPhone which is meant to work differently making it less suited for longer rides.

I do Airplane mode when I need to make sure. My Whitby ride had Endomono on for 17 hours on a cheap Chinese phone. I forget but it had either 31% or 17% battery left when I got home in the evening. I maybe checked actual maps a couple of times.

I find the Moto G is interesting as it is meant to have 4 modern power sipping CPUs. Obviously it should do 17 hours but how much more than that?

Last edited:

Mark1978

Veteran
Happy user of RideWithGPS here. Still quite a new app, but has good route planning and for a few quid a month i get turn by turn navigation.

Not sure if it works without a data connection though. Lasts a good 4-5 hours with the screen on all the time on my Samsung galaxy ace 3

PpPete

Legendary Member
I was thinking about getting a phone just for this though, with no SIM card or contract - as my current phone can't do it.

I can see the point of trying to use the nav & tracking functions of your phone so you only have to carry a single device, but you want to carry two phones, one as phone, one as GPS - for which it will always be suboptimal, whichever apps you use.

Get Martin's Legend HCx, or an Etrex 10 *** if the ££ are an issue, for less than the cost of a decent phone it will do most of what you want (navigation and recording tracks) very well indeed. If you want extra features like heart rate then wait until you can afford a more expensive GPS.

*** both of which can load FREE maps from OSM

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I am also in the use Android camp. I have a Samsung Galaxy which is more than capable of acting as a sat nav/cycle computer, so why would I pay for a Garmin?
I use Sportstracker as a basic computer, which gives me speed, distance, height. If I want to try a new route, I use ViewRanger- which is a brilliant app, with excellent customer support. A free alternative is CycleStreets.org, which can plan routes for you and can even give turn by turn vocal instruction.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I am also in the use Android camp. I have a Samsung Galaxy which is more than capable of acting as a sat nav/cycle computer, so why would I pay for a Garmin?
To have a dedicated, ruggedised, waterproofed device, to get more battery life (assuming both devices are screen on throughout) to take advantage of ANT+ features, to use mounts designed for the device itself (and a wide range of them - in fornt of bar, stem mount &c &c) and so forth.

The phone give you a choice of apps (to fit exactly what you're doing either that day, or generally) more frequent app updates and bug fixes than are possible with a dedicated device and links to your social networking, internet &c from the same device (if that's something you want), and it maybe something you have already, or can get on contract (so no large upfront costs).

There's advantages & disadvantages to both.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
To have a dedicated, ruggedised, waterproofed device, to get more battery life (assuming both devices are screen on throughout) to take advantage of ANT+ features, to use mounts designed for the device itself (and a wide range of them - in fornt of bar, stem mount &c &c) and so forth.

The phone give you a choice of apps (to fit exactly what you're doing either that day, or generally) more frequent app updates and bug fixes than are possible with a dedicated device and links to your social networking, internet &c from the same device (if that's something you want), and it maybe something you have already, or can get on contract (so no large upfront costs).

There's advantages & disadvantages to both.

I don't disagree with your synopsis, and appreciate that many people love their Garmin - but I do get annoyed when someone asks for advice about what phone apps to get and then get bombarded with advice to buy a Garmin. It's a bit like the what Android phone should I get?....Answer - Get an iPhone 5.

Top Bottom