Best ANT+ stick for Bkool Pro + Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm trying to set up a Bkool Pro trainer to use Zwift on my Macbook Air. I don't have the original ANT+ dongle that came with the trainer so bought a cheap generic one off ebay.

I can get the Bkool Simulator to connect to the trainer but the connection is a bit flaky. Zwift won't recognise the trainer at all - it doesn't get beyond the 'Searching...' stage.

Can anyone recommend a good ANT+ stick to get this working? I understand I need one that's ANT+ FE-C compatible, and it needs to be USB 2.0 (I suspect the problem with the one I've got is that it isn't USB 2.0). DC Rainmaker seems to be a fan of the Suunto one so I might try that.

I think I also need to upgrade the firmware on the trainer (it's the older model) - has anyone had any luck doing this? I'm guessing it should happen automatically via the Simulator but it doesn't appear to be happening and I can't see an option to do it manually. Maybe this is also down to the generic USB stick I'm using. And it seems I can't upgrade to the FE-C protocol until I've done the firmware upgrade either...

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.11.18.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.11.59.png

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think I also need to upgrade the firmware on the trainer (it's the older model) - has anyone had any luck doing this? I'm guessing it should happen automatically via the Simulator but it doesn't appear to be happening and I can't see an option to do it manually. Maybe this is also down to the generic USB stick I'm using. And it seems I can't upgrade to the FE-C protocol until I've done the firmware upgrade either...

Just checked the settings on the Simulator and it says I've got v3.02 of the firmware...
Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 13.25.43.png

Do I need to contact Bkool to ask about getting the upgrade?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Hard to beat the movestick mini, don't notice it plugged in.

Is there any other program possibly using the ant+ stick while zwift is! (you are closing bkool down right?)

Garmin ant agent / express arent running in background etc etc

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Great, I'll go for it. Got to be worth a try...

Is there any other program possibly using the ant+ stick while zwift is! (you are closing bkool down right?)

Yeah, Bkool Simulator closed. And I don't even have Garmin Express installed on the computer I'm using. Also turned Blutetooth off on the recommendation of the Bkool site.

I'm using the Garmin ANT+ USB stick with a 6 foot extension cable so it sits about 2 or 3 feet from my Trainer. I haven't had any connection problems yet, but I haven't used anything but Bkool up to this point

rob01792

Über Member
smutchin there was a problem with the older bkool units updating going back over 18 months ago and there was no way to update them some of the guys where having replacement units under warranty have u ever had a update ?

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
smutchin there was a problem with the older bkool units updating going back over 18 months ago and there was no way to update them some of the guys where having replacement units under warranty have u ever had a update ?

Ah, thanks for the info. Can't remember if it has ever had an update. It has been in storage for a while and is definitely more than 18 months since I last used it, so it may well be stuck on the obsolete firmware.

I've ordered the Suunto Movestick dongle and will see how I get on with that. If it doesn't work, I'll get in touch with Bkool and see what they suggest. Looks like I can use it with the Bkool Simulator, so at least I have an option to do something worthwhile with it, but I was keen to try it with Zwift as well.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm using the Garmin ANT+ USB stick

Which one are you using - the old long one with rounded ends or the short stubby mini version?

I had a Garmin USB stick (old rounded style) that I used with my old FR405CX, and iirc that worked fine with the Bkool, but I've sold the FR on, and the USB stick with it. I know the new one is supposed to be FE-C compatible but I'm not sure about the old one (I think as long as it says USB2.0 on it, it should work).

The cheap stick I got off ebay seems to be USB1.05, which I suspect is the root of the problem, but I don't really know about USB standards.

ETA: just checked the System Report on my Mac, and that confirms that it's a USB1 device...
Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 19.22.40.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Progress, of sorts...

I've got the Suunto Movestick and tried connecting with that, but still no joy with the firmware update.

Then I had an idea - why not check on my old computer if I still have the old version of the Simulator installed? I do. And so I fired it up, and lo and behold, it instantly gives me the option to install the firmware update. Yay! Unfortunately, it failed at the first attempt but I'm giving it another go. Fingers crossed...

uclown2002

Guru

Just bought a Tacx Neo and zwift subscription. I also am using the Suunto moviestick mini (without extension) and it has worked flawlessly after 9-10 hrs riding.

Top Bottom