Best beer, or ale,to complement Pork Scratchings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never had pork scratchings so have no idea

cd3baf58d75dc0fc6c06e1ea54fefd08.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
View attachment 392278

Goes well with chip butties too (memories of The Great Western in Wolverhampton)

Good call on the beer. I'm veggie too so can't comment on the scratchings. The butchers here seem to make their own. My dad makes a point of getting a couple of bags to take back to Devon when they visit.

The shop up the road sells the beer by the bottled crate. I think I can feel my next utility ride coming on!

iandg

Legendary Member
Good call on the beer. I'm veggie too so can't comment on the scratchings. The butchers here seem to make their own. My dad makes a point of getting a couple of bags to take back to Devon when they visit.

The shop up the road sells the beer by the bottled crate. I think I can feel my next utility ride coming on!

I was a meat eating student in Wolverhampton back in the early 80s ;)

I like a lot of those West Coast hops but Citra may be a little too light to go with burnt pig bits. Aldi's Wild Bill's IPA is very full bodied for an IPA, unreasonably cheap, and would probably succeed in removing the taste of scratching quite successfully.

I am going to Aldi later on today, I will give the Wild bill IPA a try, followed by a swift couple in the Barton Arms in Brum ^_^

pplpilot

Guru
I am going to Aldi later on today, I will give the Wild bill IPA a try, followed by a swift couple in the Barton Arms in Brum ^_^

Blimey 2 great pubs from my past in one thread. The Great western in Wolverhampton had a mention further up the post too. Several pints of Bathams, Banks's bitter/mild and/or Envile ale , cheese and onion cob and a bag of pork scratchings. Friday might bliss.

pplpilot

Guru
[QUOTE 5122439, member: 259"]I really miss Banks's mild, but I still haven't forgiven W&D for what they did to Mansfield Bitter. :sad:[/QUOTE]

When Banks's mild was good it was really really good. Trick was to find a real old man back street pub in the bowels of Wolverhampton. Guaranteed to be good as it was pretty much the only thing drunk in them.

Top Bottom