Best beer, or ale,to complement Pork Scratchings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went to Wolverhampton Poly 1975 - 1979. At that time my preferred local beer was M&B Springfield Bitter though lots of people drank Banks's. I always feel sad when I'm on the train coming into Wolverhampton and I see the derelict M&B brewery.

Blimey 2 great pubs from my past in one thread. The Great western in Wolverhampton had a mention further up the post too. Several pints of Bathams, Banks's bitter/mild and/or Envile ale , cheese and onion cob and a bag of pork scratchings. Friday might bliss.

The Barton Arms is owned by Oakham Ales and do very nice Thai food as well as excellent beer, the only negative is its situated in an area where I would not leave a bike locked up outside. My favourite pub in Birmingham city centre is The Wellington, Citra always on tap as well as Titanic's Plum Porter, another excellent brew.

I have not tried the pubs in Knowle, is there any you would recommend?

U

User169

Had some of this last night...

A0810CAF-A999-478A-BDF1-BB46FB09BB87.jpeg

Strong amber ale hopped like an IPA. The sweetness would offset the saltiness of the pork.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5122439, member: 259"]I really miss Banks's mild, but I still haven't forgiven W&D for what they did to Mansfield Bitter. :sad:[/QUOTE]
For me it was M&B 'Flying Stag' Mild at the 'Havelock Arms' in Enderby, a real 'Darts and Dommies' boozer.

freiston

Veteran
All a bit high street. The only exception is the Ale Rooms a tiny micro pub type place. Consistently good beer and a massive gin collection if that's your thing. Its a short walk for me which is a bit dangerous...

https://alerooms.co.uk
I think I'd better try that one via the number 87 rather than the bike ;)

There are too many beers to list that would go well with pork scratchings but a Purity Ubu would go well I reckon :smile:

ubu-hand.png

Top Bottom