"Best before" dates on food.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
OT but all Walkers crisps have best before dates that fall on a Saturday.

True! Just checked the contents of my "Meaty 12 pack" which are best before 30/11/2013. I doubt very much that they will survive until Tuesday, never mind November. I am also panic eating a 7 pack of Galaxy Ripples which were on sale cheap at Tesco the other day as they only have about a week left of their BB shelf life. They won't see the next lottery draw. :hungry:

ayceejay

Guru
I knew an old lady who would use the Christmas gifts she had one year and shuffle them for gifting next year I think her friends did the same. If you are desperate you can eat chocolate that has turned white but not if it is hairy. We went to visit one Christmas and she offered me and the kids a 'Newberry Fruit' we all held them in our mouth until she looked the other way and then spat them in a hand - the liquor had turned decidedly toxic, so to be on topic never accept sweets from an old lady past he best before date.

machew

Veteran
Why does bottled water that has taken 15 years to filter through the rocks in a mountain have a use by date ?

Booyaa

Veteran
True! Just checked the contents of my "Meaty 12 pack" which are best before 30/11/2013. I doubt very much that they will survive until Tuesday, never mind November. I am also panic eating a 7 pack of Galaxy Ripples which were on sale cheap at Tesco the other day as they only have about a week left of their BB shelf life. They won't see the next lottery draw. :hungry:
That was my fact in the fact of the day thread, nearly all crisp makes have a Saturday as a best before date.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Why does bottled water that has taken 15 years to filter through the rocks in a mountain have a use by date ?
It's because the vendors selling it want you to return to buy more, preferably sooner than 15 years later :laugh:.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a thread along these lines a while back, eventually won by someone whose aunt had used some Bisto or something with a price ticket of three and six.

My 'take' ranges from very wary to completely unconcerned running from shellfish to fish, meat, cheese, veg, tinned, frozen, dry. Things like pulses, rice and pasta last forever.

Top Bottom