"Best before" dates on food.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
Yes, I work in catering, have all relevant qualifications :biggrin:
Got my advanced health and hygene while doing my NVQ lv3 in catering bollocks and thought I wouldn't have to take any more related courses (as you don't have to by law) every company I have worked for still makes me do them every year :sad:

400bhp

Guru
BEST before

The clue is in the words.

My brother used to work for a company producing Milk

A batch would be made on the same day, and go to different Supermarkets.

Marks and Spencer's sell by date was several days before that of Budgens despite the same production date

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Got my advanced health and hygene while doing my NVQ lv3 in catering bollocks and thought I wouldn't have to take any more related courses (as you don't have to by law) every company I have worked for still makes me do them every year :sad:
The rules change: like the haccp, 10 years ago they wanted a certain system, then I had to take the certificate again about 5 years ago, regulations had changed, had to relearn some :cursing:

Davidc

Guru
For Brie and such like cheeses, the Best Before date is in reality a Best After date.
In their case I use it as a "Never eat before" date.

Most of our food is prepared from basic ingredients which are bought fresh, so doesn't often have a date. If it does it's never looked at, except when something goes off before the date - then it goes back for a refund. They do have a sensible use!

fossala

Guru
[QUOTE 2667654, member: 259"]Aren't eggs illegal to sell after the BB date?[/quote]
If it's best before, no. But I would be careful with eggs because of salmonella.

EDIT: just checked, eggs are the only exception. You learn something every day. :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 2667654, member: 259"]Aren't eggs illegal to sell after the BB date?[/quote]
Afaik it is illegal to sell any food or drink after the BB or the UB dates.
Edit: you are allowed to use the BB food stuff for cooking.

Top Bottom