"Best before" dates on food.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have just had a very nice meal of slow cooked lamb in garlic and shallots, with boiled new potatoes and broccoli. For good measure, I found an opened jar of mint sauce in the fridge, and had some of that with the lamb. It tasted great! Then I noticed on the mint sauce.... Use before the end of Feb 2013, and "refrigerate after opening and use within 28 days". I don't have a clue when this particular jar might have been opened, but at a guess, sometime before Feb 2013!

I had the same meal last night and I am still alive to tell the tale, so I am thinking that use by dates on the likes of mint sauce isn't quite as crucial as shellfish, for example. Should I cancel my plans for the rest of the week? Luckily I don't do Christmas shopping until about 2 days before the event.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think best before dates aren't so important, but use by dates are for food that could be bad after that date.

I don't like eating things past the date though, not because im worried of upset tummy, but because it makes me paranoid of it tasting funny :popcorn:

Octet

Veteran
A lot of these dates on foods are more insurance measures as opposed to anything important.

Looking at your case of mint sauce, the primary ingredients are mint, vinegar and sugar. These aren't exactly things that are going to kill you, vinegar for example will probably be good for the next twenty years!

As MrJamie has mentioned, best before dates aren't really an issue. Obviously there are certain things you should obey the dates for however, medication, eggs, meats etc.

To put it simply, pantry food I wouldn't be too concerned about, fridge food is more important.

Chris Norton

Best before dates really describe that the food may not be quite as good after the date than before. Be sensible and no worries.

Use by dates - These are for shopkeepers so that they can get rid of the stuff by the end of that day. Quite ok to consume on the day after but not advisable to consume any later than 24 hours after the date.

This was the advice given to us by our local enviromental health officer when we all did a one day food safety course (better than the health and hygiene qualification) that Boston Borough Council laid on for us at Mountains Boston Sausage.

Davidc

Guru
The EU insists on them, even for some foods which last indefinitely, and salt which if stored dry will last forever.

They've been identified as one of the big causes of unnecessary waste of food.

What's wrong with eyes and nose for assessing the condition of food?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
as Hill Wimp says, if it looks right and smells right, chances are it's right... the human race managed ok long before 'they' gave us use-by dates.

fossala

Guru
Chef here :smile:

Use buy is law
Best before is recomendation

For instance, I could use/sell food after the best before, but not use by. Same with a shop (hence cheap crisps by the counter).

Disclaimer, I don't need to use anything after a best before date in the kitchen I work in. We have a very quick turnover of fresh produce.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There is a lot of research regarding intelligently generating use by dates and detecting any events along the supply chain that might have altered the use by date, for example a sudden change in temperature etc (my research group has done similar work regarding the shelf life of cut roses), as it is a massive waste source, however to date, these are guestimates, conservative guestimates.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The EU insists on them, even for some foods which last indefinitely, and salt which if stored dry will last forever.

They've been identified as one of the big causes of unnecessary waste of food.

What's wrong with eyes and nose for assessing the condition of food?

Bacteria harmful to humans is odorless, tasteless ... invisible even :rolleyes:
You can detect spoilage in food (deterioration, discoloration, bad odor) but not bacterial contamination or bacterial growth by using your senses.
In saying that, mint sauce is a highly acidic product, high acid content foods impede the multiplication of bacteria (pickling in vinegar is an example) nevertheless a deterioration in taste might be experienced if the product is consumed after the recommended best before date.
Yes, I work in catering, have all relevant qualifications :biggrin:

Top Bottom