Best bike cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChangFai

I am still using that Ion Air Pro 3, which is not great for several reasons, but its doing its job, of recording bad driving, for £40 off ebay.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've been using an Aldi Maxtek combined rear camera and light for some years now. Whilst the footage is not great, it's adequate for bad driving from the rear. The vehicles inevitably get close enough for it to pick up the registrations, although with night-time footage a frame by frame analysis is sometimes needed to get the number right.

The difference between the front & rear footage stands out in this video, I think.

View: https://youtu.be/0KqPY3Cr1DM

The ETC Watchman rear light/camera gets poor reviews due to image quality, but I don't mind lesser quality rear footage personally.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

I have had the ChilliTech Camera, not terribly impressed, gave it away. I now have AKASO EK7000. Quite happy with the video quality, but, the battery life (3 hours) would not suit your requirements. Battery is removable, and, the camera comes with two batteries, so, if swapping batteries is acceptable, you could achieve 4 hours. One point to note, if/when you remove battery to swap/recharge, you have to rest date/time. Not difficult, but, a little bit annoying. Sample footage here.

Video quality looks good. Ordered one of these yesterday from Amazon and delivered today. You do get a lot of goodies with it, i must admit. Just charging the batteries up as I write.

One question, how stable is the bike handlebar mount, as you seem to need to use a number of components for this.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Video quality looks good. Ordered one of these yesterday from Amazon and delivered today. You do get a lot of goodies with it, i must admit. Just charging the batteries up as I write.

One question, how stable is the bike handlebar mount, as you seem to need to use a number of components for this.

I have mine mounted in a water proof case, using a “out front “ mount, I bought off e-bay. If you didn’t want the water proof outer, you could still use the same mount and the camera holder. I just thought the water proof outer gave more protection.

Attachments

• 5BF057C9-8459-4201-8F04-96C08457DB04.jpeg
    5BF057C9-8459-4201-8F04-96C08457DB04.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 27

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm in the market for Cycliq Fly12 front camera, as nothing else seems to tick enough of my requirement boxes. But there is no stock anywhere in the UK, (or anywhere for that matter) which is really annoying. I've also mailed Cycliq direct and they have no idea either, which is really helpful!

I had the first generation rear Fly6 camere/light which served me well. Then I updated to the Fly6CE, which was even better and well worth the upgrade from the original. But I see now that they have released V3 of the Fly6, which if what I'm reading is correct, it has a lower capacity battery and half the lumens of either the last two versions? Okay, its lighter and smaller, but at what cost, less bright and less battery life :wacko:
Got a feeling the Fly 12 CE is only available from cycliq themselves directly. I even think it may have been discontinued.
I have the original fly 12 which once you get used to it's quirks has been good. I did have the fly 12 CE which I thought was rubbish - it came with the most feeble bracket ever for a £250 light - and mine had a particular problem that is never turned completely off hence wouldn't hold charge overnight.

Have researched new cameras and it comes down the ghost drift XL and teentok on Amazon. Both get mixed reviews.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Usual advice from me: don't spend more than you can afford to lose.

I'm using an SJ4000 gopro-like HD one that cost £30 from a bucket shop a few Christmases ago. Quality doesn't match the best £200 cameras but it's easy to spot number plates in daylight or most street lights.

Mike_P

Guru
Thanks for the tip and I will be using the waterproof case. I’ve ordered a more discrete mount than the one that came with the kit, which will allow me to take it off without tools as I don’t want to keep it on the bike all the time.
View attachment 605343

Never had much success with those mounts or versions of them with either fixing bolt section breaking or at least one of three connecting bits breaking off. The actual Go-Pro one was one of the worse. Currently using a KlickFix mount https://www.merlincycles.com/klickfix-cam-on-gopro-camera-mount-144963.html

baby-boop-boops

I have had the ChilliTech Camera, not terribly impressed, gave it away. I now have AKASO EK7000 (approx £50, on Amazon etc). Quite happy with the video quality, but, the battery life (3 hours) would not suit your requirements. Battery is removable, and, the camera comes with two batteries, so, if swapping batteries is acceptable, you could achieve 4 hours. One point to note, if/when you remove battery to swap/recharge, you have to rest date/time. Not difficult, but, a little bit annoying. Sample footage here.

A work around for the date and time reset, is to have a little power bank with you, and plug it in the camera before you take out the battery, put new battery in then unplug the power bank the date and time stays correct this way. It might sound a bit fiddly but it works for me.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A work around for the date and time reset, is to have a little power bank with you, and plug it in the camera before you take out the battery, put new battery in then unplug the power bank the date and time stays correct this way. It might sound a bit fiddly but it works for me.

Great idea. I never thought of that! Thank you for sharing, I will try that.

Magpies

So far on my list is the cycliq fly12, anything out there better than these?

Update to this old thread in case it helps anyone.

I've been looking for years - and tried several including the most-advertised products without success - before I recently found this (relatively) inexpensive rear-facing light + camera a few months ago .....

<https://www.tooocycling.store/> (also available from several other sellers)
Reviewed here: <https://www.t3.com/reviews/tooo-cycling-dvr80-review>

My experience= Footage is clear in daylight and at dusk - I haven't tried at night - even though there is no video stabilization. Construction seems robust, IPX5 water resistant, easy to mount, 8+ hr battery life, 2 year warranty. >1000 min recording with a 64Gb microSD card, automatically overwrites earliest segments when card is full.

One glitch is that there is no dedicated app, so you have to edit and upload a .txt file to change the date/time, or reset video frame rate and other options. The instructions are fine and I had no problem doing it, but some may find this control mode bothersome.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Update to this old thread in case it helps anyone.

I've been looking for years - and tried several including the most-advertised products without success - before I recently found this (relatively) inexpensive rear-facing light + camera a few months ago .....

<https://www.tooocycling.store/> (also available from several other sellers)
Reviewed here: <https://www.t3.com/reviews/tooo-cycling-dvr80-review>

My experience= Footage is clear in daylight and at dusk - I haven't tried at night - even though there is no video stabilization. Construction seems robust, IPX5 water resistant, easy to mount, 8+ hr battery life, 2 year warranty. >1000 min recording with a 64Gb microSD card, automatically overwrites earliest segments when card is full.

One glitch is that there is no dedicated app, so you have to edit and upload a .txt file to change the date/time, or reset video frame rate and other options. The instructions are fine and I had no problem doing it, but some may find this control mode bothersome.

I just replaced my six-year old Fly6 with one of these. The Fly6 now has poor battery life and doesn't last a single commute, there are YouTube videos showing how to disassemble and replace but I charge my light at work sometimes and I don't want to plug in anything I've modified myself.

First day- OK. No more difficult to set date and time than the Fly6 CE. Didn't record the whole commute on the way in- I reformatted the card (it wasn't a new one- I took it out of the Fly6) and now it's fine. Narrower than the Fly6 but takes up about the same amount of space on the seatpost. Comes with two mounts so I can add one to the two bikes I use most regularly. Ease of use about the same as the Fly6- probably easier as there's only one button. The Fly6 CE light is better but in the winter I have an additional rear light anyway. Haven't done a battery life test yet- will try next week. No issues connecting to my Windows laptop at work and my MacBook at home.

Top Bottom