Best bike cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yakboy

Regular
To get that sort of battery life you would probably need a USB battery pack to extend battery life, you should be able to mount one to the bike and use a short lead.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Cycliq Fly 12 user here. To date a great bit of kit. I get the feeling they spoiled it with CE version.
You might be able to pick up a second hand one. There are online guides about changing the batteries, if a duff battery is the only issue.
Note you also need specific memory cards for them to record properly.
Do you know the changes with the CE model? Been trying to see what they were but struggling to find the details.
As for the drift XL I see there’s been a few issues and the image doesn’t look as clear as the cycliq.
also looking at garmin they quote 3hours which would be the minimum I’d be looking at

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Do you know the changes with the CE model? Been trying to see what they were but struggling to find the details.
As for the drift XL I see there’s been a few issues and the image doesn’t look as clear as the cycliq.
also looking at garmin they quote 3hours which would be the minimum I’d be looking at
IIRC a shorter battery life was one of the changes. If you have a look at dcrainmaker.com he does in depth reviews of cycling kit and the Fly12CE and its rear facing little brother have come under his scrutiny.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Just done a test ride and the footage seems pretty good on the standard settings so happy so far. Will take it for a proper ride tomorrow to see what it’s like over distance.
Is there an easy way to attach videos on here?

vickster

Legendary Member
think you have to upload to a sharing site like YouTube :okay:

AlanW

Guru
I'm in the market for Cycliq Fly12 front camera, as nothing else seems to tick enough of my requirement boxes. But there is no stock anywhere in the UK, (or anywhere for that matter) which is really annoying. I've also mailed Cycliq direct and they have no idea either, which is really helpful!

I had the first generation rear Fly6 camere/light which served me well. Then I updated to the Fly6CE, which was even better and well worth the upgrade from the original. But I see now that they have released V3 of the Fly6, which if what I'm reading is correct, it has a lower capacity battery and half the lumens of either the last two versions? Okay, its lighter and smaller, but at what cost, less bright and less battery life :wacko:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm in the market for Cycliq Fly12 front camera, as nothing else seems to tick enough of my requirement boxes. But there is no stock anywhere in the UK, (or anywhere for that matter) which is really annoying. I've also mailed Cycliq direct and they have no idea either, which is really helpful!

I had the first generation rear Fly6 camere/light which served me well. Then I updated to the Fly6CE, which was even better and well worth the upgrade from the original. But I see now that they have released V3 of the Fly6, which if what I'm reading is correct, it has a lower capacity battery and half the lumens of either the last two versions? Okay, its lighter and smaller, but at what cost, less bright and less battery life :wacko:
I like the concept of Cycliq very much and know others who run then fine, but I have read so many reports of problems with them :sad:

AlanW

Guru
I like the concept of Cycliq very much and know others who run then fine, but I have read so many reports of problems with them :sad:

Agreed, but the good reviews out weighthe odd bad experience. They have two years warranty and if you purchase from somewhere like Wiggle, if you are not happy, just return it.
I also read bad things about V1 and V2 of the Fly6 but after at least five years of daily use, and apart from a minor software glitch, they have served me very well, no complaints at all.
I would have no hesitation in getting the Fly12 at all to be honest, l just wish l could find one to buy!

From the other posts iv seen and looked at I’m quite impressed with the ghost XL so that’s the number 1 contender i think now beside the cycliq fly12 although the newer CE doesn’t seem to get as good reviews.
I’m only after a front, I don’t want anything to cheap £100-£250 is where I’m looking.

I thought my original fly12 had bit the dust. So did some research a few weeks back. The Fly12 CE I had was pretty unusable - came with terrible mounts for a £250 light. It's not stocked by many places now - I think the only option is to order direct from cycliq - if it's still being manufactured.
Cycliq have confirmed that they have no plans for an updated fly 12.

The Ghost XL seemed the best bet. Although lots of reports of it stopping working after a couple of weeks.

There is another option - on Amazon I think - that like cycliq combines a light and a camera. Was just over £100 - horrible oblong shaped thing though. Reviews seemed decent enough

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEENTOK-Front-View-Cycling-Headlight-Options/dp/B08HVR5M2H/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?adgrpid=117148677721&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwpMOIBhBAEiwAy5M6YM8PTnG03kjqAgPl9j5L9aiI5o3qS9jE-zTc-JaUbSeW_bAVKMQ5TRoCLDgQAvD_BwE&hvadid=499067716972&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9045458&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15203594860605456021&hvtargid=kwd-356175904247&hydadcr=1078_2320849&keywords=bicycle+camera+light&qid=1628546031&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Original fly 12 was good. Once you accepted it's quirks.
Fly 12 CE in my experience was a horror show. Just too unreliable to use. I went back to fly 12.

Top Bottom