Best bike on a turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

50000tears

Picked up a 2nd hand but good turbo this week but having not used one before was wondering whether it was OK to use my main road bike on it. I have brought a new cassette which is intended to go on an older rear wheel so happy to switch then over as needed.

Is there anything else I need to consider with regard to using the "good" bike? Obviously I will add general wear to the chain and other moving parts but is there anything else I should be wary of?

I do have an old racer I can use instead but will need some TLC to get into a rideable state; but won't bother if all I need to do is switch the rear wheel out from time to time and use a more basic skewer.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I use my road bike on the turbo.

A few tips I've learned from experience:

1) It's worth using an old tyre - or better still a specific turbo tyre - on your rear wheel, rather than a tyre you intend to use on the road.
2) Put a towel over your bars, and wipe the bike down after a session. Salt from your sweat will cause corrosion.
3) Embrace the suffering.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
And plenty of lubrication to the nether regions! Sweat doesn't just drop off your forehead onto the floor, it accumulates in other hidden places and can be a little painful! :ohmy:

Afterwards I use a spray can of water mixed with car shampoo to wipe everything down, followed by a few quick squirts of WD 40 like stuff - to the bike that is, not me!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Picked up a 2nd hand but good turbo this week but having not used one before was wondering whether it was OK to use my main road bike on it. I have brought a new cassette which is intended to go on an older rear wheel so happy to switch then over as needed.

That is exactly how I used to do it, old wheel with old tyre on for turbo use.

OP
OP
50000tears

50000tears

Be prepared to be completely and utterly bored to death, but other than that just use what ever bike you want on it.

Did a 1 1/2 hour zone 2 ride on it and that was very dull but the hard interval sessions are far more interesting. If you get bored doing one of those then you aren't working hard enough.

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't used a turbo for years but when I did I had an old bike I kept on the turbo. As other have said you'll sweat a lot, make sure you drink enough, and you'll get bored, you're also likely to drop into a training routine so try and mix the training up a bit

screenman

Legendary Member
So my eldest used to do a 6 hour plus training session each Saturday, split between the turbo and the running machine. Do not ask me how he does it but dedication is not something he lacks.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
if you are bored on the turbo, then you are guilty of one or more of the following:
1. you dont understand why you are getting on it.
2. you dont have a plan, or end goal
3. you dont know how to use it for training

Yes, yes and yes - but that hasn't stopped me so far! :becool:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Get a big fan and point it at your face. This made a dramatic difference to my comfort on the Turbo trainer. THe turbo specific tyres (well my Zaffiro one at least) are quite a bit quieter than an old road tyre on the turbo IME.

I still prefer being out on the road though, even in pretty poor weather, so I don't use it as much as I could.

Top Bottom