Best chain lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
I currently use muc off wet line and it turns the chain black after a few rides it's horrid, can someone te comment a lube that doesn't get the chain manky

A lube that doesn't turn the chain black is not a lube. The black suspended in the oil is metal particles that come off as the chain wears. By putting it into suspension, the oil effectively removes it from the wear interface and dilutes it throughout the oil. If you put a non-transporting lube in there like wax, it keeps those grindy bits at the wear face where it can do more harm. If you don't want black, don't lube the chain. Or you could pretend that you've lubed it by lubing it with a solid wax product. That will make you feel better but the chain won't enjoy the experience at all.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A wipe and spray with GT85 after every ride is my current habit.

Does it lube the chain?

I'm not too fussed, but the chain does run silently until it picks up some road dirt again, so I am reassured that some lubing is taking place.

Far more important for me is I get a nice, clean, shiny chain.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
the amount of stuff coming off this is rediculous the chain is spotless before i put it on and it only takes a ride or two before it is full black chain cassette and all and it takes ages to clean. I always wipe off the excess too

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
the amount of stuff coming off this is rediculous the chain is spotless before i put it on and it only takes a ride or two before it is full black chain cassette and all and it takes ages to clean. I always wipe off the excess too

If you wish to try my method, you will need to get back to a clean chain, cassette and front rings.

A scrub with hot soapy water is as good as any.

It will be a messy process because you have a fair bit of oily crap to get rid of.

I clean my cassette fairly regularly and use car wash/wax solution on the basis it leaves a bit of shiny wax on my car's paintwork, so, if anything, should do the same on the cassette.

There will be lots of replies to this, but I have started using Prolink Progold. It a very thin oil with solvent included, the formulation gets right into the links and "sticks there", not much comes out again, your back wheel will stay clean. You can use it liberally, ideally the night before the ride, and just wipe off the excess (like you should for any lube)
I have actually been using it in one of those chain cleaning devices occasionally, you clean and lube the chain all in one go, anything left over in the chain cleaner you can leave to settle and pour the clear contents back into the bottle. A quick wipe down after and you are done.
Apart from dry lubes, you will always get a build up of black gunk on the chain, but some lubes are worse than others for this, I have used many different oils but this is the "cleanest" of them.
Someone will mention the "Mickle" method soon anyway :popcorn:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Think ill give it a go, used to use wd40 to clean it and it came up shiny then add lube lver the top once it had dried

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Think ill give it a go, used to use wd40 to clean it and it came up shiny then add lube lver the top once it had dried

Whatever you decide to apply as lube, @tincaman tip about doing it the night before riding is a good one.

I like to leave the GT85 a while for the solvent to evaporate and to give its limited lube properties time to work their way into the chain.

migrantwing

Veteran
Wolf's or Weldtite All Weather lube are the best I've personally used. Wolf's is very cheap and is similar to machine oil, light and thin, but does the job. The Weldtite stuff is slightly more viscous and green. I've forgotten to lube my chain on occasion and the Weldtite has not let me down. I also use the Wolf's for lubricating pivot points on derailleurs, brakes and the occasional drop in cable outers.

Wolfs-50ml-MTB-Mountain-Bikes-Road-Folding-font-b-Bicycles-b-font-Flywheel-font-b-Chain.jpg
1082778.jpg

bikeman66

Over the years I've spent a good amount on all kinds of fancy lubes that were apparently the next best thing since sliced bread. Used to particularly get on with Pedro's SynLube in the winter on an MTB and Finishline Dry Lube during the summer.

I now universally use 3 in 1 PTFE spray lube. It's very reasonable in terms of price and seems to do just as good a job of keeping the chain moving as it does in lubing cables, derailleur pivots etc etc. It's the only stuff that gets near any of my bikes now, whether MTB's or road bikes.

Top Bottom