Best cycling gps apps (no data usage)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just thinking about using an old Samsung Galaxy S6 that is now out of contract to use as a cycling gps unit. Not bothered about cadence and heart rate etc. Just something that requires no data usage, and has fairly detailed maps. Any ideas?

I’ve just ordered a Garmin 820, but the more I look into it, the more I think it’s going to be a step down from a decent sized screen, with a bit of grunt behind it.

It depends on what you want most. Ridewithgps is my favourite for plotting routes in advance for sure I then export the GPX and use a Garmin 1030 for navigation though so I'm not sure about the phone app for directions.

The easiest is to use Google maps.
Download Google maps for offline use. Map your route Google maps. It lets down load it for use in offline.
Sorry if I insult your knowledge, perhaps you are aware that you can use your smart phone as a small computer with its WiFi connection without a sim/contract.
If you download an app like run keeper, then you can use it as your trip computer as well. It gives all the information such as speed, calory consumption etc as well.
The problem will be battery life.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Thanks all. I guess I’ll have a test run with google maps. I know I’m able to use the phone with WiFi but didn’t know my options out on the road.

Thanks all. I guess I’ll have a test run with google maps. I know I’m able to use the phone with WiFi but didn’t know my options out on the road.

Without a WiFi, Google maps will not do route mapping. But you can still use the map.
I think there are some maps, mymap? which do routing witgwit wifi

simonali

Guru
I'd say it'd work fine as a computer as long as it's waterproof and still has a decent battery. You can tether it to your new phone if you need a data connection, as long as your current contract allows this.

midlife

Guru
I use navmi for the car....

The easiest is to use Google maps.
Download Google maps for offline use. Map your route Google maps. It lets down load it for use in offline.
Sorry if I insult your knowledge, perhaps you are aware that you can use your smart phone as a small computer with its WiFi connection without a sim/contract.
If you download an app like run keeper, then you can use it as your trip computer as well. It gives all the information such as speed, calory consumption etc as well.
The problem will be battery life.
I’m going to give google maps a try tomorrow. If it’s not wholly successful I shall systematically work through the rest of your suggestions :smile:

I wouldn't trust Google Maps to plot a course anywhere I didn't know. Outside of urban areas it's bike algorithms are dubious at best.
I live in NL with cycle lanes pretty much everywhere and Google maps will still try to direct me down places where goats would struggle.

For seeing where you are it is not always 100% reliable when there is no data/wifi.

And you must update your downloaded map(s) on a regular basis.

If you can elaborate on what you want your GPS unit to do, we can perhaps make better suggestions.

I found it helped me a lot when I figured out there are 2 aspects to navigation apps
1 Planning
2 Execution.

Oftentimes, an app that is good for planning is not the best at execution - depending on your needs.

FWIW Osmand allows unlimited map downloads for a minimal one off fee, allows route planning offline (bespoke route planning on a phone is an adventure in itself! ^_^ but for A to B planning it works well). It does turn by turn navigation, voice instruction (if you want it) and has a useful database of POIs (which you can add to yourself). It will also track/record your route.
However, it can be slow & clunky. But it works.

You can download 5 country/region maps for free to give it a good test before purchasing.

One thing to test for any app is what happens when you go off route. Some apps will handle that better than others.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
I wouldn't trust Google Maps to plot a course anywhere I didn't know. Outside of urban areas it's bike algorithms are dubious at best.
I live in NL with cycle lanes pretty much everywhere and Google maps will still try to direct me down places where goats would struggle.

For seeing where you are it is not always 100% reliable when there is no data/wifi.

And you must update your downloaded map(s) on a regular basis.

If you can elaborate on what you want your GPS unit to do, we can perhaps make better suggestions.

I found it helped me a lot when I figured out there are 2 aspects to navigation apps
1 Planning
2 Execution.

Oftentimes, an app that is good for planning is not the best at execution - depending on your needs.

FWIW Osmand allows unlimited map downloads for a minimal one off fee, allows route planning offline (bespoke route planning on a phone is an adventure in itself! ^_^ but for A to B planning it works well). It does turn by turn navigation, voice instruction (if you want it) and has a useful database of POIs (which you can add to yourself). It will also track/record your route.
However, it can be slow & clunky. But it works.

You can download 5 country/region maps for free to give it a good test before purchasing.

One thing to test for any app is what happens when you go off route. Some apps will handle that better than others.

Thanks for your detailed response. Primarily, I just need something that can re-route on the fly if necessary. I shall be riding a recumbent trike, so don’t really want to be restricted to cycle paths alone, as lots of them are little more than single-track dirt paths, too narrow for a trike. Don’t need calories, ascent and all of the other trimmings, as I shall be touring rather than training or racing.

Thanks for your detailed response. Primarily, I just need something that can re-route on the fly if necessary. I shall be riding a recumbent trike, so don’t really want to be restricted to cycle paths alone, as lots of them are little more than single-track dirt paths, too narrow for a trike. Don’t need calories, ascent and all of the other trimmings, as I shall be touring rather than training or racing.

OK!
That changes things, so.^_^
In that case, I'd be less critical of Google Maps because you probably wouldn't be using their cycling routing - you'd be selecting smaller roads.

How do you plan routes currently? If you use any existing cycling navigation sources is there not a risk that they can send you down "bike" paths that would not be suitable for your setup?

I just need something that can re-route on the fly
When you say this, do you mean that you want to keep your original destination (say, in the event of a detour?) or do you want the flexibility to change your destination on the fly?
If it's the former, then my limited experience of the likes of RideWithGPS etc. is that they vary in their ability to reroute you (ie turn left to get back on course) or to recognise when you do get back on course without a data connection. The best way to proceed is to test each one out by plotting a route and going off course.

If it's the latter, then your options are very limited as just about every app needs a data/wifi connection to process a route.

I tried the Garmin touring and found it to be totally unusable for touring. Poor battery life, incompatible with hub dynamo, behaved erratically when off course, too slow to navigate in cities and crappy customer service. And for your needs, it may not be suitable because it will only consider bike routes meaning you could end up on singletracks.

In my experience, OSMand is the only one to do this.
But, like I said, it's a bit slow & clunky and in your case, if using the cycle routing option, there is always the risk of ending up on surfaces not suitable for you. I can't speak for how well it will select minor roads.

I'm a cycle tourer too and did a fair bit of research on this a few years ago. I was looking for a gps/navigation app/device that would let me create a route from start to finish, on the fly and follow it.
The fact is, that without wifi/data there is nothing out there except OSMand.
And I've used OSMand for years as my emergency back-up on a tablet. It does that job perfectly, if slowly (so long as I have the maps downloaded). I haven't really used it as a day to day navigator except when I was testing it out.

It seems to me that you have a very specific set of needs and I'm not sure that bicycle navigation is necessarily what you are looking for.
It seems to me that navigation on back roads and minor roads is really what you are looking for and being able to add in bike paths (where you are 100% certain of the type of surface).
While that is doable on a P.C., it becomes much harder on a phone, forgetting about the connectivity issue for the moment. A tablet may be easier.

FWIW I settled on a Wahoo Elemnt for my navigation needs. It works in conjunction with my phone - no computer needed. I create my "routes" on a variety of different sources - http://cycle.travel/ is one of my favourites, but I've also used RideWithGPS (really good for finding routes created by other cyclists - might be useful for you to search recumbent or trike) and a few others. Then I send the gpx or tcx files to my phone, then to the unit.

The truth is, I hardly use it for navigation, preferring to wander as I go along. The exceptions are when I need to be somewhere, for example, campsites are few and far between in winter - I'll aim for my "route" and follow it to the end.

If I need to, I can take out my OSMand tablet, do up a new route, bluetooth it to my phone and from there, bluetooth it to the Elemnt. However, to process the route, the phone needs data/wifi.

Wahoo told me a couple of years ago that they were going to change that but it has never happened.
If they did, it would be a real breakthrough in bike navigation, in my opinion.

If it was me I'd question why I'm getting the Garmin.
I'd do a little research and look at a decently robust tablet with a decent mount and the difference in budget between the Garmin & tablet would let my buy a fair whack of data on disposable simcards or cups of coffee in wifi enabled cafes.

I'd also suggest asking in recumbent or trike forums as well as the electronics forums, as well as researching general gps navigation apps. Like I said, your needs are not necessarily in line with most cyclists.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Regarding the Garmin, it had yet to be dispatched so I’ve cancelled it. When I said to “reroute on the fly”, I meant for the same destination. It’s unlikely I’d change my mind as to my intended goal. I had looked at the Wahoo units, and they seem to be better regarded than the Garmin. I’m wondering whether I should just bite the bullet and order one of those instead. I’ll still have my regular iPhone for WiFi duties, should I need to communicate with the Wahoo. And the battery life would exceed that of both the Garmin and the Samsung.

I'm very happy with my Wahoo. If they dropped the need to be online to process a route on my phone I'd sing about it from the mountaintops.^_^

Not everybody is, though.
The display is very visible in all conditions that I've tried it in, but for navigation "you" are located at the bottom of the screen. What that means is that if you leave your route behind you, it goes off the screen! There is a limited zoom in/out function. If you're sufficiently far off course (20-30 km), you may not be able to see your route on the screen!
It does not reroute, you have to make your own way back to the route, but it recognises when you are back on the route after about 10-15 seconds.
If you want turn by turn navigation that is only compatible with route prep in certain apps/programs eg RideWithGPS 9free) Komoot (pay).
It has its own part of the app "Take me to" that can be used to take you to an address - again only online-, but anytime I've tried it, it's crap.
All maps are included - no extra cost - but they are very basic. Very basic!

It's a lot of money for a device to be used only for navigation - probably about the same as your Garmin you ordered. And again you still need your phone to go online to change/create routes.

Again, it strikes me that the important thing in your situation is the route planning, not so much the execution. What do you use currently to plan your routes? And how successful is it in terms of not bringing you onto paths that are difficult/impossible for you to cycle?

At the end of the day, there are numerous navigation apps that can work offline on a phone. But there are not many planners that will work effectively for your needs.

The one big advantage of a dedicated gps unit over a phone/tablet is the fact that they are designed to be used outdoors in all weathers.
Phones/tablets can be hard to see in bright sunlight, can be unusable in the wet and need to be mounted well.

But based on your needs, I'd still say that OSMand on your old phone is the way to go.
I'd certainly suggest trying it out before you order an expensive piece of tech.
I honestly can't remember how it reacts to going off course, (I think it reroutes automatically) but the map is fully zoomable, and it's easy enough to read the map and see where you need to go to get back on course. Or else, just redo the route to your destination from your current location.
The one big advantage of OSMand are the Points of Interest on the maps in case of emergency.... or just the need for a beer ^_^

Top Bottom