Best degreaser for chain cleaning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Mr Pig said:
I've got one in the shed if you want to buy it? It was such a hassle to fit to the chain, fluid dripping al over the place and patchy results. Taking the chain off and shaking it around in an old paint tray of white spirit is faster, easier and does a better job. Without buying a daft machine.

+1

Once you have done this and left the chain to dry, leave overnight if possible after re-lubing. This will give plenty time for the lubricant to get into the interior of the chain.

bonj said:

+1

its the Fenwicks FS1 cleaner you want, use a chain cleaner device, job done in a couple of mins.

Also get a pressure spray bottle from the garden centre and mix the FS1 in a 10-1 solution with water and spray on the bike to get all the road grime off, minimal amount of brushing required and rinse bike and chain off with loads of water. Dry off the chain and then relube.

windy

dodgy

Chain cleaning contraptions are gash, really. I just wipe with a cloth with a little GT85 and my chains (for road and MTB) come up like new (both in looks and in they way they sound).
Once you've learned to wipe your chain after every ride you'll wonder why you ever bothered buying that stupid chain cleaning toy.

Edit to add, this isn't aimed at any one person, it's just my general opinion about chain cleaning gadgets xx(

Garz

Squat Member
After reading on here I was gutted as id just purchased one of the 'stupid chain cleaning toys', however after now using it three times on my own steed and once on my mates I dont think they are bad at all.

I agree they can get messy and have to last more than a handful of uses to justify the cost but my general opinion is they are useful for those that a) have the dexterity/patience and ;) dont fancy dissasembling their chain just to clean it.

When it does brake or gets lost I will try the chain tool method as it helps to be experienced before jumping in I guess.

yello

I did think the mickle method was 'oil and wipe' rather than gt85/wd40 and wipe. It's certainly what I do anyway. I also thought wd40 etc was considered a big no-no.

jamesxyz

I use the Park Tools chain cleaner and it works a treat - I had a cheaper one that was flimsy rubbish and broke fairly quickly. The old adage 'you get what you pay for' cetainly applies.

As for the cleaner - most pros use a citrus degreaser (I believe). I clean once with that (it's expensive) to get the worst off then clean again with a small amount of washing up liquid.
Make sure the chain is thoroughly dry before re-applying lube - leave it for a while not just wiping it with a cloth

Garz

Squat Member
jamesxyz said:
I use the Park Tools chain cleaner and it works a treat - I had a cheaper one that was flimsy rubbish and broke fairly quickly. The old adage 'you get what you pay for' cetainly applies.

This is the one I use too, maybe the others that slate them bought the cheaper halfords/x brand? :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
The park ones are ace. I use three at once on two bikes - 2 cleaning 1 rinsing. Muc off in them as the good stuff is too expensive. GT 85 to get the water out, dry the chain then oil.

This is for muddy bikes. Road bikes get their chains wiped oiled and wiped.

Top Bottom