Best Drummer Ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Jim Gordon. From 'Wichita Lineman' to 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number' to backing Elvis in Vegas. Sure, he shot his mum, but nobody's perfect. There have been more athletic drummers, more inventive drummers, drummers who can hold a band together when all around are going walkies, but nobody has ever drummed as beautifully.

It's the last half minute of Wichita Lineman that is so entrancing.

Feel free to disagree....

I will never hear a word said against Wichita Lineman. The lyrics are among the best that Jimmy Webb ever penned. The feeling is intimate and yet sweepingly romantic. The playing, yes, very much including the drumming, is sublime, and Glenn Campbell's voice was never better than on this. It is perfect.

keithmac

Guru
I'm a Prodigy man at heart but Wichita Lineman is one of my favorite songs of all time, along with Hollies - He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I nominate Hal Blaine.

Along with the rest of "The Wrecking Crew", he played on almost every great US song of the 60s you can think of, and most TV themes from Batman to the Brady Bunch.

Check out Hazy Shade of Winter by Simon and Garfunkel, for example:

Or Be My Baby by the Ronnettes:

Here's a whole list of the tracks he played on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recordings_of_songs_Hal_Blaine_has_played_on

Astonishing.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My dad was a drummer, nothing special just in a dance hall band, but he always said that Buddy Rich was one of, if not the best.

Awesome: check out Buddy Rich vs. Gene Krupa, another candidate for best drummer ever...

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Lars from Metallica. He's so great that he cant even remember their own songs half the time...

I listen to a lot of bands that spans many genres but for me I have always loved former DreamTheater drummer Mike Portnoy. I love his weird timings

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Saw the Who in 1972. The sound system was a bit dodgy with intermittent feed-back. Moon had a pile of drumsticks and he flicked one at whoever was off stage-left each time the speakers screamed.
Didn't he say that he modelled his drumming technique on an octopus?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
aren't we forgetting a certain Scotish lady. Here's just one example. The drumming starts about 2 mins in.

View: https://youtu.be/8ffm2WYsatE

We were lucky to go to her gig in Bristol a couple of years back. She slunk on stage with her long mane of now silver hair, in leather trousers moving like a cross between Emma Peel and Catwomen and then started to play. How on earth can anyone get such sounds out of Marimba (the Bristol gig, drums on this). By the way, she's deaf if it wasn't hard enough already.

Top Bottom