Best easy chain cleaning/lubricating device?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukoldschool

sorry, I did a quick search but couldnt find anything....

Can anyone recommend a good lazy b*stard device for me, the type the chain clicks into then gets cleaned in a bath and stops me getting covered in muck? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
cleaning_your_bike_chain_web.jpg

JuhaL

Guru
I am bit lazy too but i don't use any devices. I just use Shimano degreaser with a brush and then rinse the chain with water well enough. Doesn't take too much time clean the chainring and cassette as well.

Bodhbh

Guru
I vote the hand-wound chain scrubber the most useful cycling accessory I've ever owned and by far the least likely item to float around the bottom of a bits bin for 5-6years before getting thrown for cluttering up the place.

gbb

Legendary Member
When i commuted seriously, i tried all sorts of extreme methods of cleaning and maintenance on my chain. I had time, equipment most people never will, i had well maintained, clean chains.
DID IT MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE TO THE LIFE OF A CHAIN...NO. (i used to record their mileages achieved quite religiously)

Now i just wipe, oil, wipe at the end of a ride every now and then, then wipe it again before my next ride. (Milkfloats photo just about covers it, a cloth and some oil)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Pah to you "just a rag" people. Get with it. Get the latest high tech kit. You don't know what you're missing!

No need to get angry.

21086057--towel-.jpg

I tend to try and do mine at work when the boss isn't around... use those 3M cloth wipes with lots of IPA (alcohol not beer) and generous amounts of emerald 2000 chain saver. Then more wipes.. then a quick spray of silicone down brake and gear cables and nd more IPA and wipes on the rims. Heck that's and dull the maintenance done.. and I got paid to do it.

gbb

Legendary Member
I tend to try and do mine at work when the boss isn't around... use those 3M cloth wipes with lots of IPA (alcohol not beer) and generous amounts of emerald 2000 chain saver. Then more wipes.. then a quick spray of silicone down brake and gear cables and nd more IPA and wipes on the rims. Heck that's and dull the maintenance done.. and I got paid to do it.
My regime used to be (in our workshop where I could keep my bike and do anything I liked really)
Chain off, spray with WD, blast out with a high pressure airline, that really blows out the grit etc. After allowing some time to dry I'd soak the chain for 5 mins in a bath of oil, hang it on a peg over the oilbath for an hour to allow the oil to drip off.
Wipe, wipe and refit.

If you took all the operation and added the time to physically complete each one it's only maybe 15 minutes but I had all day to complete it.
Lovely clean chain, well oiled etc..,,but as I said, it hardly made any difference to chain life.

It was fun while I was doing it...no regrets but I couldn't be assed now.

Top Bottom