Best easy chain cleaning/lubricating device?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Can anyone recommend a good lazy b*stard device for me, the type the chain clicks into then gets cleaned in a bath
Trouble with any such 'device' is that one has to clean it after use (and btw involves a significant waste of cleaning fluid). The time taken (to clean the device) is more effectively used cleaning a chain 'normally' (see above).

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Trouble with any such 'device' is that one has to clean it after use (and btw involves a significant waste of cleaning fluid). The time taken (to clean the device) is more effectively used cleaning a chain 'normally' (see above).

Dishwasher when wife is out..... :laugh::laugh:

rrarider

Veteran
Take the chain off, put it in an old saucepan and cover it with paraffin. Outside the house, put the pan on a solid fuel stove and light the stove. Stir the chain around with a bent coathanger until the paraffin boils and catches fire. Put the fire out by covering the pan with a board and fish the chain out with the coathanger and hang it from the clothesline to dry. Lubricate the chain with your preferred lubricant.

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Take the chain off, put it in an old saucepan and cover it with paraffin. Outside the house, put the pan on a solid fuel stove and light the stove. Stir the chain around with a bent coathanger until the paraffin boils and catches fire. Put the fire out by covering the pan with a board and fish the chain out with the coathanger and hang it from the clothesline to dry. Lubricate the chain with your preferred lubricant.

This wins the internet for the most ridiculous suggestion of the day :okay:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gee, and here I've been using a double boiler with the paraffin. I just try and keep the chains clean, replace when the chain checker says to, and maintain the BB. The only time I have troubles are when I inherit them from some bike I've found for small $$.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Scrub the chain with hot soapy water, dry, re-lube.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Jizer industrial degreaser in an ultrasonic bath.
Rinse with washing up liquid/water.
Rinse with clean water
Dry in 70C oven for 90 minutes.
Re-lube with Finish Line Wet oil.

About once a year. It won't suit everybody....

Top Bottom