Best fish / beasts from the deep on a barbie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've stopped eating meat (at least for the time being), but am still scoffing fish/seafood and have been invited to a BBQ tomorrow with my very carnivorous family. So I'll be taking fishy stuff for myself...what's the best type for BBQing (and any good ways of cooking other than wrapped in foil and doused in lemon/lime :smile: ) :hungry:

I don't like scallops...

Lots of supermarkets round here with decent fish counters so I should be able to source most creatures of the deep :okay:

Cheers

If meat is murder, fish is justifiable homicide.

I sometimes make fish cakes out of firm flakey fish and leftover mashed potatoes. For a cheat I sometimes use yellow label supermarket ready prepared mash.

I have a great easy recipe for Thai fish curry. Not too handy with spices so I use Green Dragon paste. Fry up onions and veg. Add green currey paste, pepper. Add tin of coconut milk. Add chunks of firm white fish and later some prawns/shrimp and pak choi greens ( stalks). 1 min before serving I add the leaves. Sometimes add chopped coriander.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If meat is murder, fish is justifiable homicide.

I sometimes make fish cakes out of firm flakey fish and leftover mashed potatoes. For a cheat I sometimes use yellow label supermarket ready prepared mash.

I have a great easy recipe for Thai fish curry. Not too handy with spices so I use Green Dragon paste. Fry up onions and veg. Add green currey paste, pepper. Add tin of coconut milk. Add chunks of firm white fish and later some prawns/shrimp and pak choi greens ( stalks). 1 min before serving I add the leaves. Sometimes add chopped coriander.

How do you cook a thai curry on a BBQ...doesn't all the sauce fall through the gaps?...but thanks for the general fish feedback (other than coriander which is devil weed xx()

It's more I've just gone off the taste and texture of meat (I have been trying to eat less for environmental reasons recently though)

Nibor

Bewildered
I should imagine Tuna steak seared hot and fst would be good as a lot of people eat it rare, also if budget allows some really big shell on prawns/ langoustine / scampi whatever they are calling them.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
There are some good recepies for Mexican style grilled fish with hot or spicy marinade or rub.
do you have any?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I should imagine Tuna steak seared hot and fst would be good as a lot of people eat it rare, also if budget allows some really big shell on prawns/ langoustine / scampi whatever they are calling them.
Big prawns good. Langoustines are a bit of a pita to peel especially when hot!

Fresh tuna isn't my favourite but I'll see what there is

What about cod/hake/other white fish? I like plaice a lot but probably a bit delicate for BBQ?

Drago

Legendary Member
On a related note. I'm a card carrying meatatarian, but genuinely wouldn't mind cutting back for all sorts of reasons. Can anyone recommend a non meat burger and/or sausage that doesn't taste like shredded Y fronts boiled in Bernard Mannings sweat?

Top Bottom