Best fish / beasts from the deep on a barbie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another option (if you can get them) are fresh eels. Skinned, cut into 2 inch lengths and simply seasoned with salt and pepper. As eel is an oily fish, it will take on a wonderfully smoky flavour - and you only have the central bone to worry about.

You can equally use conger eel steaks if your local fishmonger has them. Much the same, only somewhat larger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Think my bream are already filleted. I'm not great with whole trout...too much trying not to choke on bones as a kid I think!! I tend to avoid whole fish with bones full stop for that reason, (sardines for example are a complete no no for me)

1) sounds good for the bream

2) I don't really like fresh (or pickled) ginger either...only in sweet things like ginger nuts :biggrin:

Ah well, I tried... :laugh: I'm the other way - prefer ginger with savoury things. Mind, I can't stand sardines. Just bleurgh, bones or no :laugh: You're missing a trick on eels. Good. More for me. :hungry:

Another fish that's really nice to cook with is basa - it's actually a species of catfish, but feels and tastes like extra thick plaice. You can do it simply in a parcel as above - butter, tarragon and capers is a lovely combo for this, or you can give it a light smear of a thai curry paste of your choice prior to cooking. My personal choice is red, but whatever floats your boat.

Fish pie mix makes lovely mixed fish kebabs, especially if brushed with garlic butter.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, always on the lookout for more fish recipes at home...breaded whatever gets dull :laugh:

@Dave7 I'm not putting fish fingers on a BBQ..I'm not 5 years old ;)

Salar

A fish out of water
If you are worried about bones, there's an easy method to debone a fish.

First cut off head and tail, use scissors for the fins.

Then cut belly full length and gut.

Put fish on a cutting board with skin facing upwards.

Press down along backbone, a few taps sometimes helps.

Flip fish over, grab the backbone at one end and carefully pull away and that's it.

Basa is cheaper than chips, and really very good. The smoked version is a dead spit of smoked haddock.

It's one of the nicest white fish out there IMHO, and I much prefer it to cod and haddock. Far kinder on the wallet as well.

Is also called River Cobbler - I first ran across it about 10 years ago when watching a TV documentary on food fraud. Turns out some sneaky chip shops were selling it as cod - and making a mint in the process. So it got me curious to try it and I've been buying it ever since.

If you are worried about bones, there's an easy method to debone a fish.

First cut off head and tail, use scissors for the fins.

Then cut belly full length and gut.

Put fish on a cutting board with skin facing upwards.

Press down along backbone, a few taps sometimes helps.

Flip fish over, grab the backbone at one end and carefully pull away and that's it.

The Two Fat Ladies used that method - well, that's where I learnt it. :blush: As an addendum, run your fingers over the filleted fish to feel for the pin bones. Those are easily removed with a pair of tweezers.

Another thing I like to do with white fish (works equally well in the oven as on a BBQ) is to wrap it in dry cured streaky bacon or cured ham (pref smoked but not necessary), tucking some sage leaves inside the bacon or ham and seasoning well with black pepper. If doing this in the oven, it's worthwhile searing in a pan first.

Admittedly not so great for someone wanting to eat less meat, but someone else reading this thread might like the idea. This works really well with hake, basa and monkfish tail.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Another thing I like to do with white fish (works equally well in the oven as on a BBQ) is to wrap it in dry cured streaky bacon or cured ham (pref smoked but not necessary), tucking some sage leaves inside the bacon or ham and seasoning well with black pepper. If doing this in the oven, it's worthwhile searing in a pan first.

Admittedly not so great for someone wanting to eat less meat, but someone else reading this thread might like the idea. This works really well with hake, basa and monkfish tail.
Yep, not eating meat...and quorn "bacon" looks foul (and is a ridiculous thing)

Milzy

Guru
I've stopped eating meat (at least for the time being), but am still scoffing fish/seafood and have been invited to a BBQ tomorrow with my very carnivorous family. So I'll be taking fishy stuff for myself...what's the best type for BBQing (and any good ways of cooking other than wrapped in foil and doused in lemon/lime :smile: ) :hungry:

I don't like scallops...

Lots of supermarkets round here with decent fish counters so I should be able to source most creatures of the deep :okay:

Cheers
I’ve also stopped eating meat. Fish are nice creatures too. I may stop eating all creatures. We’re destroying the planet to eat abused animals that we don’t even need to eat for survival. It’s actually pure bonkers.

Top Bottom